Live rock in sump.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clairehoekstra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have chunks of live rock in my sump. There's no light down there, so are they actually helping with filtering at all?

Yes it is. You don't need light for the bacteria to live. It can live in the dark and continue to consume ammonia and nitrite. As long as it is wet and there is something in your display making enough ammonia, the beneficial bacteria will continue to live...this is really simplified on the process but I hope you get the idea.

I have a whole section in my sump with LR under no lighting and it does a great job.

I have a similar setup, but I have a ball of chaeto to accompany the live rock. I have an led light lit at all times. It's not too bright, but is it a waste to have it on?

I'm not too sure of that specific. I used to have lighting down there on for a few hours a day but didn't notice any good. Refuigum doesn't grown in my sump it absolutely loves my overflow so I really found no benefit but I guess it depends on every different setup ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389490501.887992.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389490513.302971.jpg

Back
Top Bottom