Live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about live sand that's in a system now, is there anything I should look out for, like color smell ect

I wouldn't buy live sand, more trouble than it's worth. Just buy packaged sand, that looks nice and keep it at that.

I bought live sand from petsmart I work there so I got two fresh 20lb bags they are about 20 or so give or take per bag. It looks really nice I'm loving it

if you have a tank with live stock i'd consider curign the rock in a rubbermaid container with saltwater in it, as all the life that was once on it will throw out a huge ammonia spike and will likely do alot of harm in your system

Gti_Leo said:
if you have a tank with live stock i'd consider curign the rock in a rubbermaid container with saltwater in it, as all the life that was once on it will throw out a huge ammonia spike and will likely do alot of harm in your system

It's going to be a new setup

then go ahead and use it, the die off will start your ammonia cycle and hopefully be enough to carry it to the end, if its not you could always add a raw shrimp or bottled ammonia to continue it.

i bought some lace rock from my LFS which had soem mossy growths on it which i used to carry my cycle on the rock to the end. the moss didn't start to break down and cause an ammonia spike for about a week but it eventually did and within 3-4 days i started getting nitrites

Back
Top Bottom