Living Sea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blang

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had problems since day one with getting any of my fish to live more than a few weeks. So during my last ICK breakout, I called Living Sea and they helped me through this awful disease. It killed 7 out of my 10 fish because of the advice I was given by my local lfs. In any event, everything is fine and I am ready to restock. I went to Living Sea, picked out my 2 new fish and went home with lots of new knowlege. However.......

The guy who helped me said that I should use a PH reducer and gave me the wrong dosage. I ended up doing 3 water changes to bring it up to normal.

He also said that I only need to really clean my 15 gallon tank once a month?

Should I continue to work with these guys? I've heard Living Sea was so good and their fish tanks look so beautiful. Being a beginner is so frustrating. The LFS's tell you one thing and the internet or books tell you another. What is a beginner suppose to do?

This community as well as Wet Web Media are two I have found to have particularly good advice.

Some people can get away with water changes once a month if they have a very light bio-load (small fish, not a lot of fish, not messy feeders, not fish that produce a lot of waste, and no overfeeding). This also works better in a larger aquarium, say 50 gallons, as it is much more forgiving.

I am a fan of Living Sea. They have a good selection, and even offer classes to help out beginners and advanced aquarists alike. True, I've heard horror stories of them selling fish way too large for home tanks, and a few of their employees have been a little less than polite, but then you have the employees that are more than polite, very helpful, and eager to have you set up the aquarium of your dreams, and if you're looking for that hard to find fish, well.. they have a good chance of having it.

You can even smell the salt from a couple blocks away.

My advice is to not take advice from a LFS. Sometimes a good store will have a bad employee, and lose your business because they were not aware of one of the mistakes of their new hires.

Well, the guy I dealt with was suppose to be one of the experts on freshwater fish. when I initially called up I asked to speak to someone who was an expert with fish diseases. I think he has been there for quite awhile. When I was in the store, he spent about 1 1/2 hours with me.

Unfortunately though, my ICK problem has retured (or maybe never left) so it's back to the drawing board. I just hope I don't loose anymore fish like I did a couple of weeks ago.

I had great experiences with Living Seas, and I do recommend them. Too bad I'm 300 miles away from them now =(.

I knew a guy who use to work for them and quit due to his unhappiness with the way that they treat customers

he says

1- they lie about nesacary equipment
2-are overal rude
3-dont quarintine new fish even though they say they do
4-are reallly just intrested in money

Park Ridge. It is an awesome store. Well worth the visit. Just look at the website Livingseaaquarium.com

Back
Top Bottom