Local Pet Stores Around Gainesville/JacksonVille

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zynthesis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I live in Gainesville FL and was looking to see if anyone else on this board lives in the area and has been to any of the local pet stores.

I'd like to know which pet stores. How was the quality of their fish. What you thought on the customer service at the time. etc.

Aquatropics 34th st/20th. - Store sells both sw and fw fishes. They have a large selection of fw fish and some live plants. Their fish knowledge is good. The thing is they tell you how important to maintain your tank. But they don't do it theirselves. All the tanks have black algae all over them. Doesn't look like they have ever cleaned their tanks. Bad presentation of fishes. Never bought any because of that. Prices are also high.

FW Fish selection A
SW Fish Selection C
Tank/Fish Condition F/C
Customer Service B
Overall C

Petsmart - Archer road/butler Plaza. - This is a large warehouse store. They have a very large fish section. Also have live plants, not many nice looking ones but the general. Also have a good selection on tanks. The fish how ever are the pits. They try to have seperate fish in each tank, since they have what it seems over 70 tanks. Their selection of fish is very small, and the fish looked beat up. Their plants have the small snails all over them so watch out. They do how ever carry different size feeders. Which is a plus when they are carrying them. Last time I went which was about a week ago they only had 6 comet feeders.

FW Fish selection F
SW Fish Selection None
Tank/Fish Condition D/D
Customer Service C
Overall D

PetCo - NewBerry Road/Next to Oaks Mall - Large warehouse type of pet store. Was impressed by what it looked like on the inside felt like a office max. Carries both sw and fw Fishes. They seperate each type of fish into small square sections looks very good. Good lighting for each section. Very large selection of fw fishes. Prices were sketchy. Fantail guppies 3.99? But freshwater puffers 1.99, Bumble Bee Goby 1.39. Anyways. They have a fungus problem in their goldfish/Barbs section. Every fish in those had a cotton candy fungus all over them. I would have to say they would all die within 2 weeks. They have a selection of live plants too. Nothing impressive. Tons of feeder comets in one size. Salt water fish looked really good. Only had about 5 different ones. Clowns, tangs, triggers, damsels something else. Customer Service, sucked.

FW Fish selection A
SW Fish Selection C
Tank/Fish Condition A/F
Customer Service F
Overall D

Pet SuperMarket 13th St - Small Pet store. Very limited in pet products. Has generally everything needed for fw fishes. Carries alot of tanks. They have about 20 tanks that are well kept. Large selection of fishes. Cloud minnows, cardinals, neons, rasbora, alot of gouramis etc.. How ever I did see one glass catfish. There was no Salt Water Supplies at all except Instant Ocean Salt mix. But I have to say Their fish prices's were the best i've ever seen. Their prices beat every store by 50c on some to 5 dollars on other fishes. They had one sick tank, but it was labeled sick not for sale. Customer service was good.

FW Fish selection A
SW Fish Selection None
Tank/Fish Condition B/A
Customer Service A
Overall A

Hope to see some other people tell me about other fish stores around gainesville even in jacksonville. How their experience was and what they saw. Also Walmarts too. I saw in some places walmarts had freshwater stingrays. I How ever have never been to a walmart with fish. So don't know what they are like.

Aquarium Connection on 6th street (same plaza as alpha plasma center) has a ton of fish and supplies for fw. Good looking fish, tanks, plants. They also have reptiles in the back. Unfortunately they dont do saltwater.

Back
Top Bottom