Log for cycling my 55g tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOG: Day 41

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: off the scale
Nitrates: off the scale
pH: 7.6

So this morning I tested the ammonia again at almost exactly 12 hours after I dosed it last night, 0ppm. I think this baby is ready to go. I forget, do I need to wait until the the tank is showing 0 nitrites as well before adding fish? Also I'm wondering if I should do a full WC now or not.

zparticle said:
LOG: Day 41

Nitrites: off the scale
Nitrates: off the scale

So this morning I tested the ammonia again at almost exactly 12 hours after I dosed it last night, 0ppm. I think this baby is ready to go. I forget, do I need to wait until the the tank is showing 0 nitrites as well before adding fish? Also I'm wondering if I should do a full WC now or not.

I would. Do a massive one to drop the nitrItes down to .5-1. Just don't be surprised if it jumps back up again by tomorrow. And yeah, the no2 dropping to zero on it's own is the key to considering the tank cycled. It's definitely not ready to go (in fact, it's a dangerous environment), but you're getting close.

zparticle said:
Okay cool. And I should re-dose the ammonia after the WC right?

Yep. I don't know what ppm you've been cycling at...but you can drop it down to ~1ppm for a few days to let the no2 > no3 bacteria a chance to catch up. After 3 days or so, I'd definitely bump it back up to where you've been dosing it.

LOG: Day 41 - Part II

Nitrites: 0-.25ppm
Nitrates: 0ppm

Just completed the second of two full water changes. This got the no2 and no3 down. Going to go dose the ammonia, I'll try to get it between 1-2ppm, I've been doing 4ppm, sometimes higher.

For whatever reason, I wasn't paying attention to the days you've been posting. Day 41 is about time to be done (especially with the seeded sponge)...so it should be soon. I think you've got it exactly right, dose the ammo up to only 1-2 for the next few days, and hopefully we'll see both that and the no2 zeroing out every day.

You're other tank hasn't been established long (so I'd be slightly hesitant), but if you can spare 10-15% of a filter pad to donate to this one (scissors come in handy here), it should really move things along by introducing more :bb: :) and hopefully pushing it over the edge.

Okay well I'll see how it goes the next couple of days. Like I've said before I'm not in a hurry, I'm pretty happy that I'm getting this level of conversion. Plus I'm still figuring out what fish to put in this one. :cool:

I have actually put cut up portions of a filter from the 75g in the canisters of this filter system already. I wouldn't want to snag anything from the 20g at this point because those fish are doing really well and I don't want to risk messing things up.

LOG: Day 42

Nitrites: off the scale again
Nitrates: off the scale again
pH: didn't test

Wow. So this is just about 14 hours after I did the two full WCs and put ammonia in up to around 1-2ppm. Another full WC or just leave it be? Should I start skipping the ammonia every other day?

I just rinsed off two of the four filters from the 75 gallon tank inside of the 55g. Hopefully that will kick up the :bb: levels. A lot of crap floating around in the water now.

zparticle said:
Was just over at the LFS, they have a mated pair of discus that are breading. To bad my tank isn't ready to go yet.

You could always ask them to put it on hold for you by buying the fish and then asking them to keep them until you're ready for them.

You could always ask them to put it on hold for you by buying the fish and then asking them to keep them until you're ready for them.

Yeah the thing is I have no idea how long it is going to take to finish the cycle process and I think I need to have some other fish in there for a little while before I add discus. That could mean several weeks and I doubt they would hold them for that long.

The more I think about it I only liked the color on one of them anyway so it is probably a good thing thing the tank isn't ready to go. I'm horrible with impulse buys. :blink:

LOG: Day 42

Nitrites: off the scale again
Nitrates: off the scale again
pH: didn't test

Wow. So this is just about 14 hours after I did the two full WCs and put ammonia in up to around 1-2ppm. Another full WC or just leave it be? Should I start skipping the ammonia every other day?

You could probably leave it since you just did a pwc and another would just bring nitrites high again most likely. I would do as Eco said and dose it to about 1 for another day or two and then bring it back up.

I'm excited for you to have another tank. I love your YouTube videos. You've inspired my 12 year old to try to make one once our new fishies are ready for filming (got them today).

I'm excited for you to have another tank. I love your YouTube videos. You've inspired my 12 year old to try to make one once our new fishies are ready for filming (got them today).

Cool! I'll have to run over to your thread, maybe you have some pics up?

I've been doing pretty well with staying patient but I am starting to get a little antsy.

...but I am starting to get a little antsy.

I would be too. I think you're at or past the due date for your cycle to complete. I'd personally do another massive pwc (get no2 down to .5-1) and keep dosing the ammo only up to 1ppm for the next couple days. We should definitely be in the home stretch. Around a month is average...you're nowhere near panic mode yet...but I'd like to see you finish up in the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom