Log for cycling my new tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOG: Day 11 (24 hours after re-dosing the ammonia)

Here are the numbers:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 80ppm or above hard to tell being color blind

Once again everything converted within 24 hours.

zparticle said:
LOG: Day 11 (24 hours after re-dosing the ammonia)

Here are the numbers:

Once again everything converted within 24 hours.

Great! Do what you think is good for you! Nitrates are hard to see if you aren't colorblind.

Right, but the point I'm making is that when they stuck the sponge in a bag and mailed it to you...it was in no way set to handle 4ppm in 24 hours. The "active" sponges are designed to add to your tank and very slowly stock fish so the bio-filter has time to grow and adjust to your bio-load. It's not a sponge so jammed packed with bacteria that it can handle anything you throw at it right away. When people use the seeded sponges from that company for fishless cycling, they are just that...seeded media. For the process you used, the media will give a huge head start and hopefully kick things into gear...but being able to handle 4ppm within 3 days is out of the realm of possibility IMHO.

I'm glad you quoted me from earlier in the thread, this has so many pages that it's hard for me to remember what was happening early on. I would be wary of powder bacteria supplements, but if the water has been changed and several days have passed, I wouldn't worry too much about it anymore.

I'm not sure how you can gauge the capacity of one of these sponge filters when there just isn't any data on their performance. There are alot of variables that'd determine their effectiveness. Everything from how well they did in shipping, to if they are getting a proper amount of air pumped through them will all affect their performance.

It'd be wise to add just a few at first to be sure it's working, rather than be overwhelmed with a bioload that's not being dealt with, but I think the idea is the same as it is with Tetra Safestart, which is basically put your entire stock in there and rock with it. (this is not my preferred plan of action, since a small bioload is much easier to safely deal with than a large one, in case something goes awry)

I believe that these filters are kept in a large tank with a massive bioload, I know he keeps many of them in there and for several weeks to ensure they are well inoculated. That said, the amount of bacteria in each filter is anyone's guess.

Well, sounds great, congrats. My seeded sponge got my nitrites going in 5 days. I never had nitrates going that high that soon.

LOG: Day 12 (12 hours after re-dosing the ammonia)

Here are the numbers:

Surprised everything converted within 12 hours, that seems very fast.

LOG: Day 12 .. Part II

Well I needed to move the tank and needed to do a WC anyway to get the no3 down so I did a 90% WC. I treated the water that I used to refill the tank to kill the chlorine (yes, before putting it in the tank). All of this of course brought the temp way down.

I just tested the no3 and it is now sitting at about 5ppm, which is good. I'm hoping the water change isn't going to negate all of the progress I have made.

I'm re-dosing the ammonia right now, I'm crossing my fingers that I see good results again tomorrow. I will be very upset if this destroyed the bio filter.

BTW is there any way to connect a chlorine filter to a siphon? It sure would make putting water back in the tank easier.

Aqueon or Python Water Changer.

I have an Aqueon water changer for that exact reason. It will save your back. I found mine at PETCO, but paid way too much. But my back was killing me and I needed it immediately. Either one is a lifesaver. Eco says his python leaks at the connection, I havent had any issues with the Aqueon.

As far as water treatment when you use these, you treat the entire capacity of the tank no matter how much youre changing. I use Seachem Prime. I put in one cap full + 10 drops. Swish it around a little and add water back with the water changer (as easy as turning a ball valve). You just have to match the temp of the water you are putting back in the tank. (roughly, just by feel.) To save me some typing, I reviewed the Aqueon in the Reviews section, you can check it out.

Maybe you can find either one cheaper online, But I actually look forward to water changes now.

You are doing great. You are well versed in cycling now, please help us give advice whenever you feel like it!!! Thanks and when you are ready post some pics.

Last edited:
Oh yea, make sure you turn off the filters too while using the water changer...almost forgot to say that

I just saw in the beginning you already ordered one! You are ahead of me.

Yeah I actually did use it but I wasn't sure of the proper method of treating the water when refilling the tank so I did that part by hand using a pot. That sucked, but now that I know I can use the siphon I will. Thanks.

LOG: Day 13

Here are the numbers:

Nitrites: Off the chart
Nitrates: 5-10ppm

Well at least the ammonia got converted to no2, hoping to see the no2 convert to no3. Keeping fingers crossed that the WC didn't screw anything up.

zparticle said:
LOG: Day 13

Here are the numbers:

Nitrites: Off the chart
Nitrates: 5-10ppm

Well at least the ammonia got converted to no2, hoping to see the no2 convert to no3. Keeping fingers crossed that the WC didn't screw anything up.

Unless the temp was extremely different, it shouldn't have hurt anything. As long as you dechlorinated the water and the tank didn't sit empty so long that the whole thing dried out...it wouldn't have hurt and will be something you'll be doing weekly anyway once you get fish.

When did you last add ammonia?

Added last night, and the temp with the water change was quite different. The new water was quite a bit colder than the water that was in there. The water temp is back up now to about 77F.

zparticle said:
Added last night, as the temp with the water change was quite different. The new water was quite a bit colder than the water that was in there. The water temp is back up now to about 77F.

It would have to be pretty different to cause that much damage. When I first got my Python, I forgot to match the temperatures and I refilled 50% of the water with the faucet on full cold. It didn't hurt anything with the cycle, lucky the tank was empty.

My point is not proven, but this was what I was afraid could happen when I was talking about the powdered bacteria causing it to appear cycled, but actually being unstable. The water change was going to happen one way or another before you got fish...and the ammonia you added last night is a representation of stocking the tank. Granted, it's not like the fish would have added it all at once.

I guess we'll see how it goes in the next hours...but so far I'm glad you didn't add fish yet.

eco23 said:
It would have to be pretty different to cause that much damage. When I first got my Python, I forgot to match the temperatures and I refilled 50% of the water with the faucet on full cold. It didn't hurt anything with the cycle, lucky the tank was empty.

My point is not proven, but this was what I was afraid could happen when I was talking about the powdered bacteria causing it to appear cycled, but actually being unstable. The water change was going to happen one way or another before you got fish...and the ammonia you added last night is a representation of stocking the tank. Granted, it's not like the fish would have added it all at once.

I guess we'll see how it goes in the next hours...but so far I'm glad you didn't add fish yet.

That is what happened to me right there.

LOG: Day 13 Part II

Everything converted. Ladies and gentlemen I'm calling it officially cycled. :dance:

Tomorrow I'm getting my first fish. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom