Logic and logistics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was thinking of somehow stacking the current sump on top of and inside a bigger container, and maybe drilling holes so the water would go through it and then into the bigger sump. Then I could still use the trickle tower effect, but have more space for equipment underneath.

Also just wondering if there's a shorter heater out there. Seems like whenever they have an adjustable thermostat then suddenly they're another 5 inches longer.

I have run 2 sumps with the pre made sump in a large tank.
Both time a 3'X18". One time an aqueon sump in a 50g..Plenty of room for pumps and heaters.
I am all Aqueon Pro heaters and at least if searched you can find out how long it is .
https://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/heating/pro-adjustable-heaters
No need to drill the sump although bulkheads are easily installed and plagged if needed..
Just water bridge with a 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe..I have both of my sumps water bridged to 29g tanks for separate addition volume and space for pumps.Just a large syphon tube from pre made sump to 1/2 " of bottom of tank it is in.
For more versatility or mechanical filtering you could remove many if not 2/3 of those bio balls and make trays to hold cut to fit pads of different microns levels.
I don't use any bio media in my 180g besides submerged sponges that could fit in 2 HOBS ! It has 3 trays of mechanical in two towers. Those bio balls are a pain to clean IMO and need to all done or none.Trays let you clean different levels when needed...

It’s a good point about the bio balls. I’m not really trying to use them for filtration, more for the oxygenation. And since half of them are submerged anyway, I might as well switch them for the real bio media I have below, which would give more room for the heater...

And yeah, I had an aqueon pro on my other tank but it burned out this summer, just stuck in the on position. Thought about replacing it with another but decided to try other brands.

Hey, Autumn, if you see this, what kind of java fern is this? It came as a chunk of rhizome with a tiny leaf on it in the big grab bag you gave me, but now it’s taking off and I love it:

LeoW1Hp.jpg

If it is the long thin one in the pic, it is cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae, you can find them in tissue culture at Petsmart. It is a wonderful plant, one of my newer favorites. They grow really nicely in a low to medium light tank.

Really, it's a crypt? That's cool, I thought for sure it was some sort of Java moss given the large chunk of root! I might need to actually plant it in that case, right now it's just sort of floating around in there. Doesn't seem to mind at all though!

cross check images for verification. It was stuck in a bucket and some of the leaves had died off, if it is the ones I am thinking of. I just planted 4 of those roots the other day, can't wait for them to come up. They used to be in the back of the 12G and looked really good.
60074-albums13090-picture68690.jpg

and later after tearing everything out to remove some almost adult BN Plecos which were added when they were 1" fry, I couldn't ever catch.
60074-albums13090-picture68697.jpg

The leaves definitely look like what you said it is, I'm just not used to a root so thick on anything that's not a rhizome!

And yeah, I had an aqueon pro on my other tank but it burned out this summer, just stuck in the on position. Thought about replacing it with another but decided to try other brands.
If you didn't throw it out contact Aqueon..They have a lifetime guarantee .
You just mail it to them and they send you 1 time a free refurbished heater...
At least they have for me with no receipt...(y)

Emailed them last night, they got back to me this morning, so I guess we'll see if a new heater shows up or not! Thanks for pointing that out, Bandit!

I have over 30 heaters..
All Aqueon pros...
I won't buy another type till they just suck like so many others or burn me on their 'lifetime warranty'...
They have been good to me so far and I happen to be in the market for 10@ 50 watt heaters at the moment...When I can find someone with ten for the right price I will own over 40 ...

I have over 30 heaters..
All Aqueon pros...
I won't buy another type till they just suck like so many others or burn me on their 'lifetime warranty'...
They have been good to me so far and I happen to be in the market for 10@ 50 watt heaters at the moment...When I can find someone with ten for the right price I will own over 40 ...

What are your thoughts on heater controllers? Overkill? Or great insurance?

I have looked into the titanium heater with separate controls but they are pricey..
Most heaters fail stuck on though so :whistle:...
Being a ram man my fish have never told me the water is too warm !(y)
I could never afford as many as I would need .
The fish room sits in the upper 70s so only rams have heaters anyways...
The swordtails and others do just fine at room temp!

What are your thoughts on heater controllers? Overkill? Or great insurance?

After having a glass heater overheat and crack in my tank I will never go without a temperature controller again. I use and really like the inkbird controllers and love the assurance that I will not have that issue again. $30 is well worth it IMO

I have over 30 heaters..
All Aqueon pros...

Yeah, I’m wishing I’d know their good support back when it broke :) the Fluval I replaced it with is... fine, but I do like how solid the aqueon is. It’ll be good to have a backup now!

Rearranged some stuff in the sump today, got it so the heater will always stay submerged. Took out most of the bio balls, put a few in a media bag and then put in another bag of lava rock. Then I cut out a semicircle on the lid so it would stop interfering with the return hose. Did a water change while I was at it. About to the point of thinking about stocking, though right now the red ramshorns are multiplying like nuts so there’s always something to watch at least :)

Back
Top Bottom