Long lived fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timd818

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,
Reading most of the threads I've notice that a lot of people have kept fish that lives quite a long time. I'm looking for a show quality fish that can live for around 15-20. It would be nice to look back 20 yrs from now and read this thread and telling my friends and fish how it all started. Not gold fish or koi, I want some that lives a long time but not to out lived myself. Thanks.

Since fish continue to grow throughout their life span, you will be looking at a LARGE fish in 20 years!

Menagerie said:
Since fish continue to grow throughout their life span, you will be looking at a LARGE fish in 20 years!

Hrm...how about something that can live for a long time in my 55gal? Sturgeon is not an option :lol:

Wow...never thought of those. I currently got 3 of them and they're really nice and very curious at about everything. Anyone knows how long their life span is?

timd818....

The longest I've heard of a Clown Loach living is about 15 years but they probably live longer than that. I know that the Ornate Bichir (Polypterus ornatipinnis) has occasionally been recorded at about 30 years and even the Senegal Bichir Polypterus senegalus has come in at over 23 years. Many lungfish also live rather long lives....in the 20+ year range....with one old Methuselah being over 80 years old last I heard.

-Joe

Most of the medium to large fish will live long lives when taken care of properly, and given adequate space. I have come across a few fish in their 20s. They include the spotted climbing perch, the tinfoil barb, and larger cichlids. I have come across a site that gives the average expectancy of the different genre of fish.

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Youngstown_Lifespans.html

Thanks whitetiger, what an informative site. I didn't know tetras can live that long. Angelfish is a good option. Do they get along with clown loaches?

I had a goldfish for 10 years, and wound up selling him back to the LFS when I moved from FL to VA, so who knows how long that fella lived. Pretty cool! Oscars come to mind, also.

I've had tetras in my care for 28 days now! That's all the infomation ut I will keep you post for the length of their lives.

Shall I post everyday to add a day to the total?

Even penguins have sense of humors.

Fruitbat said:
timd818....

The longest I've heard of a Clown Loach living is about 15 years but they probably live longer than that. I know that the Ornate Bichir (Polypterus ornatipinnis) has occasionally been recorded at about 30 years and even the Senegal Bichir Polypterus senegalus has come in at over 23 years. Many lungfish also live rather long lives....in the 20+ year range....with one old Methuselah being over 80 years old last I heard.

-Joe

Hear, hear! I know of some 25 year-old clown loaches.

Back
Top Bottom