Looking for a Centerpiece Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am looking for a Centerpiece fish for my 75 gallon planted tank

heres what im looking for...
larger 7-16 inches
Does well in 6.5-7.0 ph water
will get along with my fish (10 cardinal tetras,10 seprea tetras, 4 blue rams)
Must have good color, Blues, Reds, Yellows
must not destroy my plants and/or uproot them

My original fish i wasnted for my centerpiece was a geophagus altifron but i read that they dig through substrate and require sand substrate, I am using Eco-Complete so that wont work out to well and i think they would just destroy my tank lol

Boesemani Rianbow? You can go all males for a lot of color, or mix 1 to 2 females per male for variation. Very peaceful and would get along with what you already have. At minimum 5 or 6, but you could probably get 8 to 10, if you wanted.

The only thing I don't know is how they would be with rams...

I took a quick look at some profiles and it looks like they would do well with your Rams. However, the Boesemani only get to be 3 to 4 inches, so they may be a little smaller than what you are looking for.

these are very cool fish and are a great idea however i wasnt really looking for a schooling fish wanted something large that would be good alone or in a pair would be fine as well. I may look more into these Boesemani Rainbows and if i cant figure anything else out.

Thanks for the idea! please bring more!

Have you thought about an angelfish? They might have a compatibility issue with the cardinals, but your tank is large enough that it might not be a problem.

Koi angels have some great color.

Have you thought about an angelfish? They might have a compatibility issue with the cardinals, but your tank is large enough that it might not be a problem.

Koi angels have some great color.

Not a big fan of angels =/ looking for something unique

Red finned flagtail prochilodus, appariently they will have a little nibble at weaker plants but wont touch anubius etc. I have heard they will eat ALL types of algae as well. They get to about 35cm and are nice and active. Can be aggressive to its own kind though.....

Boesemani Rianbow? You can go all males for a lot of color, or mix 1 to 2 females per male for variation. Very peaceful and would get along with what you already have. At minimum 5 or 6, but you could probably get 8 to 10, if you wanted.

I second the vote for rainbows. There are dozens of bows that are available. And they range in color from blues to reds to yellows and every thing in between. They are very peaceful, even with small fish. range in size from 2" to about 6".

I second the vote for rainbows. There are dozens of bows that are available. And they range in color from blues to reds to yellows and every thing in between. They are very peaceful, even with small fish. range in size from 2" to about 6".

im thinking about these just looking for something that gets alot bigger

Are you planning on removing the smaller fish? Neons and other small tetras make a good snack for larger fish:)

I guess some people would disagree (watch and see :)) but what about a discus? They come in all sizes and GREAT colors. They like pretty much the same water conditions rams do and I've read they can be kept together. I guess the problem might be the neons activity, but it sounds like your tank would be a good place for a discus.

Im thinking about it i just dont want to invest 75$ in one, but I decided that if i get them ill sell my GBR's young to my LFS because they already agreed to buy them from me if I can supply them and so I can trade them in fora discus probably.

Im thinking about it i just dont want to invest 75$ in one, but I decided that if i get them ill sell my GBR's young to my LFS because they already agreed to buy them from me if I can supply them and so I can trade them in fora discus probably.

Wow, you're so lucky! You got your rams to breed? Don't they get really aggressive during that period? Maybe discus is a bad idea in that respect. After a couple of weeks in my tank, my little male started chasing my angel, its hillarious! Little blue flash hot on the tail of a very large marble angel, wish I could get a video of it

Back
Top Bottom