Looking for direction (want to get everything right)...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScorpioMoon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone! I had a few tanks years ago, and I'm sure things have changed as far as new products and better technology. Also, since it's been so long, I consider myself a nearly total newbie.

Anyhow, I would like to get started again and am looking for recommendations on the best filters and overall equipment. I want two set-ups. One being a small 20 gallon tank for my bedroom and another 75 gallon tank for the living room.

I want both tanks to house live plants so looking for some guidance on the perfect substrate(s). In the small tank I'm thinking guppies, mollies and some golden snails.

In the 75 gal I'm thinking a couple of blue acara cichlids.

Can you get me started in the right direction as far as supplies, filters, lighting, additives and substrate(s)?

Thank you bunches!

I am a big fan of Aquaclear (AC) filters if you're looking for a HOB filter. This is what I would recommend for the 20g.

For the 75g, I would recommend a canister filter. Eheim is one of the best IMHO, but you can also get cheaper ones, like a Sunsun, aka Aquatop.

I have a 75g peacock cichlid tank and I did have a Sunsun in addition to an Eheim, but the Sunsun started leaking so I decided to get another Eheim to replace it. You don't have to get a canister filter though as they can be pretty pricey.

I have a 55g planted community tank and I'm running an AC 110 and an AC 75 on it, so a HOB filter would also work. If you couldn't already tell, I'm a big believer in over filtering.

As far as substrate, I have ecocomplete mixed with fluorite in my planted tank. I debated doing dirt, but I wanted something that was easier to setup/maintain. I have pool filter sand in my 75g and love it. I did add trumpet snails to help with sifting the sand, as there is always a possibility of the sand forming air pockets, which I believe can be deadly to the fish.

As far as lights go, I will let someone else chime in here as I'm no expert.

For ferts, it really depends on the plants and what lighting you end up getting. Most of my plants are low maintenance so I only dose liquid carbon and homemade root tabs. Again, I'm sure someone else with more experience we'll chime in here.

Hope this helped a bit. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. I'd be more than happy to help where I can.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks Delapool, I've got that in my Amazon cart. I remember using these from my prior experience.

Chi_Cichlid,

Thanks! I was thinking canister filter for the 75g, but went to a local shop yesterday and he tried to talk me out of it saying that they usually leak and are harder to maintain, so I'm hoping to make an educated decision. I had a canister filter before and liked that it could be hidden away and don't remember having too many issues with it as far as cleaning and whatnot. I had the marineland when they had just came out with their first one, I believe. It was around $250. I saw that the Eheim canister had great reviews on Amazon. I also want to have extra filter power on both of my tanks, so I'm with you there! Is their a particular Eheim that you recommend as far as model? Also, I've watched some youtube vids on the best media to use and I really want to add as much/the best types, maybe modify what the company recommends so that's it's extra efficient. Can that be done with the canister filters, and what would you suggest?

Thanks for the recommendations on substrate. I'm currently lost on that since I didn't do live plants in my previous tanks and I really want to get it right and I want to love the look of it as well. I contemplated sand, because aesthetically I like the look, but I don't know how well it would help root the plants. I also like the look of natural stone gravel, but then I see people that have used black gravel and I like how that looks as well. So many choices! I'll look into the Ecocomplete and Fluorite. I imagine I'll end up using something like those as a base and then have a layer of gravel or sand on top. Would that work?

Thanks for the replies!!

I would recommend either the Eheim 2215 or 2217. Ideally the 2217 would be best as it will filter more gph. I usually try to aim for 4x the volume of the tank. Otherwise, if you can find two smaller Eheim filters for the same price as the bigger model, I would suggest doing that. As long as the gph are equal if not higher than the 2217.

I have 2 canister filters on my 75g, and I find cleaning them to be much easier. Basically I only clean one at a time as to not get rid of all the beneficial bacteria in the filters. Your other option would be to have a canister and a HOB. I had this setup for awhile before I added the second Eheim. The HOB ended up being used for my 55g for extra filtration. FYI, if you have a standard 75g, the AC75 will most likely not fit. I had this issue and had to upgrade to the AC110.

I love the AC's because you can choose to use whatever media you wish. This is also true for the Eheim. I've always just used what media came with the filter(s). The only thing I bought was a big bag of polyfil, and that was added to each of my filters. Many people use this and I would recommend it as well. As far as best media, try doing some searching on this forum. There is a lot of information from people using different filter media. Or you could start a new thread specifically regarding filter media once you decide which filter you want. FWIW, I've had no leaking issues with my Eheim's, and I've had one of them for about 4+ years.

You could use ecocomplete as a base and cap it with sand. I don't see why this wouldn't work. Keep in mind though, if you ever decide to remove or move plants, the base layer will most likely be disturbed and I imagine it'll settle on top of the sand. I have crypts and dwarf sag in sand and they've done well with no issues. Again, search the threads here. I'm sure there are people who have used just sand in their planted tanks. It should help give you an idea of what works and what doesn't. But keep in mind other factors such as lights and ferts will also come into play so there's ignoring that.

I know it can be overwhelming but take your time and plan. I speak from personal experience, but if I could do it all over again, I would have taken more time to plan everything. Also search the classifieds for equipment/plants. You can usually find some great deals from some great members.

Back
Top Bottom