looking for ideas..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pipedreamer86

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so the 150 is up an rolling. So far I have 3 corys, 3 honey Gouramis, and 10 black skirt tetras. I have a black ghost knife waiting in an established tank that will eventually be moving over. I would like to add a few more corys for sure. Other than that, though, I'm not sure what else to add. I'd really like some more color in the tank. Just shoot me some ideas!

Ram cichlids would be perfect they come in all sorts of colors and are not aggressive like other cichlids, kribensis are nice as well. Other suggestions would be, angel fish, other gouramis, sword tails which can actually get to four inches would be a colourful addition and very pretty, mollies could also give you that pop off color and add a bit of life to the tank, and the larger rainbow fish. You probably could get away with putting a parrot cichlid in the tank I've seen them kept with community species before even small killifish most likely the reason this is possible is because they cannot open or close there mouth instead they just kind of suck the food in, any way that's a few suggestions hope this helps!

I have a 220g and have 10 angels as my centerpiece fish. You could do 6 angels in a 150. Now if you want color you could add a nice colorful group of rainbowfish which I think will compliment the fish you already have. You do need to up your school of corys' for sure. You could also add some loaches, I have yo-yo loaches. They are so active and they do fine with cory's. I have them together in my big tank. I wouldn't add any more gourami's due to possible fighting issues. If you want to add something alittle different check out Whiptail Cats, sometimes they are also called Twig Catfish. I have three in my tank.

I find myself more interested in the bottom dwelling critters than the fish the more I learn. Plecos, loaches, catfish, they are all so neat! I'm worried though that with a school of corys roaming around theres not much need for much more on the bottom scavenging. Also, with live plants don't you run the risk of having them eaten down to.nothing by the more vegetarian fish?

I have a 220 with an Angel, Rainbow Fish, Blood Parrots, BGK, Fire Eel, Eclipse Cat, Gourami, Plecos and others but I recommend.
3 Angels
1 Pleco
1 Eclipse Catfish
And idk if a BGK and Cories are a good idea...
1 Peacock Eel
4 Bosemani Rainbow Fish
2 Boold Parrots, some people like them some don't but I do.
5 Silver Dollars if your not doing a planted tank.
Rams would be cool ^^

vanimal said:
I have a 220 with an Angel, Rainbow Fish, Blood Parrots, BGK, Fire Eel, Eclipse Cat, Gourami, Plecos and others but I recommend.
3 Angels
1 Pleco
1 Eclipse Catfish
And idk if a BGK and Cories are a good idea...
1 Peacock Eel
4 Bosemani Rainbow Fish
2 Boold Parrots, some people like them some don't but I do.
5 Silver Dollars if your not doing a planted tank.
Rams would be cool ^^

Why would cories and and a bgk not be a good idea

Pipedreamer86 said:
Why would cories and and a bgk not be a good idea

Some BGK are aggressive and could kill your Cories once it gets larger.

Has anyone had any experiences with their bgks killing fish? I have read up quite a bit and.everything has said they are peaceful

Pipedreamer86 said:
Has anyone had any experiences with their bgks killing fish? I have read up quite a bit and.everything has said they are peaceful

I think I heard of somebody on this site said their BGK was an eye nipper and I think that could happen to your Cories but all fish are different and you could give it a try and see how it works out.

Rainbowfish! I have become obsessed with them and they are absolutely gorgeous! I ust got a couple of turquoise rainbowfish and they are lovely little creatures.

BGK's have been known to eat eyes out of fish. If given enough food and their own cave/hiding hole they should be fine while little. They grow slow from what I've heard so you just need to watch as time progresses and be prepared to remove/rehome the knife. I have a 220g and just added 5 Julii Cories to my 10 others and I will tell you they more Cory's I add in such a large tank the more active they become. I would add to your number of cory's. You can look into some of the other sucker cats like the Whiptail cats that you can keep in numbers and are really unique fish.

Rivercats said:
BGK's have been known to eat eyes out of fish. If given enough food and their own cave/hiding hole they should be fine while little. They grow slow from what I've heard so you just need to watch as time progresses and be prepared to remove/rehome the knife. I have a 220g and just added 5 Julii Cories to my 10 others and I will tell you they more Cory's I add in such a large tank the more active they become. I would add to your number of cory's. You can look into some of the other sucker cats like the Whiptail cats that you can keep in numbers and are really unique fish.

Agreed. Mine grows very slowly but they can get very large.

Back
Top Bottom