Loosing lots of fish quickly...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thetmaxx

Aquarium Advice Activist
My situation is that my fish are getting sick suddenly. The tank is a 55Gal that has been active for about 2-3 yrs. now. It's been moved twice about 1 year ago. And has been flourishing since with 6 Cory Cats, 1 Tiger Barb, 2 CAE, 1 Otto, 2 Cherry Barbs, 1 Bala Shark, 1 SAE, 1 Lemon Tetra... I think thats everyone.

I've been doing 25% water changes/grav-vac every Sunday, Using API's Stress-Coat, and Stress-Zyme. Change the filters about every month, and give the bio-sponge thing a rinse. The tank is extremely under decorated, but a lack of funds keeps emerging, I usually tested the water with Junky Test Strips, but The tests always passed.

So One day I decide I need New Fish! I picked up 2 of the really colorful Ram's, can't remember the name. One of them appeared to have ick I noticed when I got home. So as with all new fish I began treating with API's Pimafix & Melafix. The Ick fish died in 3 days ( Fish Store has no return policy) So I kept treating anyways. Then my SAE developed a red spot (kept on treating with meds) and died, then one of the CAEs went for no appearant reason. Then one of the Cory Cats... (Older maybe 4-5 yrs., has been in other tanks) Then one of my cherry barbs got sick (kept on treating the tank) and died. My other CAE has a spot on his nose (white) and another fish has what looks like mouth fungus. So I've been watching them closely (Still treating the tank... The meds are getting expensive now) and out of no where my Lemon tetra dies, meanwhile that tank has had a cloudiness that can't be stopped! Oh, and the other Ram Died as well, can't remember why. It's just a long cycle that has been going on for about 2 months now, and I'm finally getting time to ask for help!!

I'm sorry it's so long, but if anyone here can straiten me out as to whats happening... I think I'm some what knowledgeable of aquariums, but I usually feel like I have no idea whats going on. Last I checked my Ammonia and pH are OK, don't have Nitrite and Nitrate kits yet. (been trying to replace the test strips with API's test kits)

Thanks in advance!!!

wow...thats horrible. I'm sorry for your loss, and hope things begin to brighten up...I would deffinately look into the api liquid tests, or the test kit. I know about being short on funds, the master test kit from API is like 20 bucks...

Hope everything gets better.

Bear

The test strips you are using are notoriously inaccurate. I would take a sample of water to your lfs to get tested and post exact parameters. Without exact parameters we can't help as well as we could if you had your parameters. Also how often do you do water changes and how much each time? FWIW, pima/melafix will not treat ich. Heat above 86 F will kill ich. There are a variety of questions in the sticky at the beginning of this forum. Answering these questions will help us help you.

Sorry for the loss your fish.

Sorry to hear about your current situation but it is not uncommon for a tank to suffer in this manner when sick fish are introduced to a healthy tank. The ick began the awful cycle and sorry to say, meds alone will not help, especially the "Fix's" since they don't treat ick. The best method to combat ick is to raise the tank temp to at least 86d and keep it there for several weeks. Lowering the water level to create more surface agitation helps keep the tank oxygenated. Once a fish develops ick, the immune system drops and other bacterial and fungal issues crop up.

I agree with changing your testing method...those test strips are a waste.

Zagz said:
Also how often do you do water changes and how much each time?

thetmaxx said:
I've been doing 25% water changes/grav-vac every Sunday,

Nice schedule but it is part and parcel of why it's hard to treat an infected tank with meds only. Most of your meds are being tossed and it's difficult to maintain the dosages that are recommended. Another thought, do you have AC in your filter? If so, remove it anytime you treat your tank with meds.

I haven't seen any other fish with the ich, so i haven't been trying to treat that particularly. I looked up, and found one of the fish had dropsey. the others seem to get red spots.

Today I will get the other API liquid test kits today. also, my tank has a huge bubble wand, so I think aeration is good in it. and yes the AC was removed from the filter as per the "fix's" instructions. they also instructed the 25% PWC at 7 days...

At this time I'm concerned about the Grouarmi (sp?) with the weird red thing on his lip, and the CAE with a weird spot that looks like his upper lip is missing (while I don't mind loosing the PUNK, I don't want his disease to spread to others...)

I'll try to get some pics when I post the other tank parameters this evening. Thanks for your help!

Hi, I just purchased the nitrate and Nitrite API Liquid kits. unfortunately the nitrate came with two saltwater guides, and not a FW guide! If anyone can help me as to how far off the colors are...?

I got a 60ppm on the SW card, which I imagine isn't much different on the FW, so my tank is quite dirty. nitrites were a healthy zero. I did about a 75% PWC (not so partial at that point) rinsed the biological sponge in tank water ( usually i use the sink, could be one of my problems)

I wonder if the high nitrates could lead to a decline in plant health too? they utilize nitrItes for food correct?

ugg, no matter how you think you have the basics down you learn something new, or find out you weren't reading the directions on the chemicals/filter instructions quite right.

I would like to get a pic of the unhealthy fish on here, but unfortunately i've expired for the day. thanks for your time.

Back
Top Bottom