lost 8 fish in one night african chillids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justin1795

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have had a 135 gal chillid tank for a few years. we decided to move and i took down one of my 75 gal tanks to use as a holding tank. it was down about 2 months. i used it to hold my oscar and a few others. then i moved my prized chillids in. theres was about 14 fish. i couldnt find anyone to help me move my big tank so they have been in there about 2 weeks just fine. all the sudden today i find 3 dad ones. i checked amonia it was good. the nitrate was high. we went to the store and i came back to do my water change and found 3 more dead. two more died during the water change. we are now on a well but im still adding prime. my oscar seems fine. the only thing i can think of is a nitrite spike but i just can believe i lost so many in one night.

I'm sorry for your loss. I have a 125 cichlid tank and a 55. My 55 consists of 4 labs, 3 jewels, and 3 convicts. Yesterday I did a routine water change and for some reason there was a temperature spike of almost 6 degrees (80-86) which wiped out my 4 labs..

Sounds to me like nitrite, stress might be what caused the deaths for you.. I'd do a 50% water change and avoid moving too many fish around cause that can stress em.. Again sorry for your loss I know how you feel

Back
Top Bottom