lost a ram! learn from me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medge00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so I was changing the filter in my 10 gal when the bag of peat thats in there (keeping pH down) broke! it was all over, I could barely see through the water. I did an immediate water change and thought every one would be ok, but my GORGEOUS male ram died. He had longer fins, stunning color.... i test the water. Slight ammonia and nitrite readings. Rams, I believe, are very nitirite sensitive. There were no readings before the disaster, so I suspect something with the bag breaking.... maybe a mini cycle. At any rate, I moved the gold female so she would be ok and did another water change... nothing else bit the big one, but i'm sooooo sad! I haven't lost a fish since my heater broke over christmas vacation! geez! if its not the fish, its the plants, if its not the plants, its the fish.... when will it end!!!!

Do you mean M. ramirezi? In that case (actually, in any case) I would be more worried about the "slight" ammonia reading than the nitrite. Anyway, sorry about him. :/

That sucks, Medge. I lost my favorite beautiful male Bolivian ram about a month ago so I can relate... :( Worst part is I have no clue why.

Sorry about your fish.

Sorry to hear that. Every new horror story makes me worry about my fish. When I first put the rams in my "main" tank I was nervous enough that I actually had a dream wherein my skunk loaches kept attacking the rams until the rams were dead. :oops: Everything has been okay so far though.

so far so good.... i did another water change, no signs of stress, put in some amquel. that situation will be under control pronto. I'm not worried. plus the female is in the other tank, with water that reads zero across the boards. I'm not sure how the bag broke... it looks like it maybe caught on the edge or something... maybe wasn't holding at the seam. I was in a hurry when I put it in, I probably didn't pay enough attention.

at any rate, thanks for letting me vent. my roomies love the fish, but just don't understand... they especially don't understand how cool rams are!

Back
Top Bottom