Loud humming aqua clear motor? Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Studentdrleo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just bought an aqua clear 30 for my 15 gallon tall tank. I assembled everything and it's currently producing a nice, loud humming noise from the motor. It's definitely the motor and is much louder than the aqueon 10. Any ideas on what to do? Thanks

You could take it all apart and put it back together or simply return it. I guess sometimes the impellar shaft can be bent which creates a less than desirable noise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I cleaned out the impeller like everyone online talks about and put some Prime on it. I'll let it run for a day or two and see what happens. It's just much louder than the other one and I thought it was supposed to be quieter...

Prime? Like the water conditioner? They are suposed to be quiet, mine are all virtually silent.

Ya, other forums talked about coating the impeller. Others suggest vasoline, so I'm really not sure what to do.

Hmmmm... don't see prime doing much good in that department. Vasoline would be my vote

Called the manufacturer. She told me cooking oil. Worked like a charm. The only thing I hear is the water now

Nice work:) I'll have to remember that next time mine acts up. Extra virgin olive or peanut oil??

Olive oil. But I don't have any fish in the tank so I don't know if you're supposed to do that with fish in the tank...

Back
Top Bottom