Low-Light Moss Recomendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnRoscoe

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking for some low-light moss options to put in my 16G bowfront. I have a few anubias and some java fern lace type that all do well, and would like to work towards a "carpet" of moss.

I'm having a hard time finding a comparison of mosses available. What would be a good choice(s) for low growing, durable, doesn't need extra light or ferts?

Java moss would be your best bet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Almost all mosses are low light but they all vary in growth type. Flame moss grows more vertically. For a carpet, I would try for taiwan moss, willow moss, phoenix moss (aka fissidens fontanus), or marimo moss.

Java moss would be your best bet

The main reason why I didnt suggest java moss is because it is a very messy moss. It grows everywhere and anywhere and you cant really make a carpet with it. It is better for moss trees.

The main reason why I didnt suggest java moss is because it is a very messy moss. It grows everywhere and anywhere and you cant really make a carpet with it. It is better for moss trees.

Very true, I can attest to its unruly behavior.. i just figured in a low light setting it would grow the fastest..

Java moss is the easiest moss by far and can be grown in toilet it seems. very tough plant. I know ricca is used for carpets often. It is also known as crystalwort.

Mosses

I'm looking for some low-light moss options to put in my 16G bowfront. I have a few anubias and some java fern lace type that all do well, and would like to work towards a "carpet" of moss.

I'm having a hard time finding a comparison of mosses available. What would be a good choice(s) for low growing, durable, doesn't need extra light or ferts?

hello John...

I keep Christmas and Singapore varieties in my low light, planted tanks. I don't use commercial ferts much, just let the fish do their thing and feed them a good diet.

alphaprobreeders is a good online source.

B

Thanks all, you've given me some more good mosses to look up. Java moss is mentioned a lot, but isn't very tidy, I'd like to find something shorter, so will look into some of the the others mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom