Low light planted filtration media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spankenstyne

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so i have just over 1wpg in a currently cycling lightly planted 75 gal aquarium (is it considered a 75 tall or an 80 gal with dimensions of 48" x 16" x 24" ? I get 79.79 gal at this size by my calculations).

Ideally it will be sort of medium planted with a fair amound of free swimming space with enough plant life to look "planted" and to allow a decent amount of hide spots for the inhabitants. I'm going to stick with the lower light plants and keep the lighting where it's at for now. This way for the time being i shouldn't need to worry about supplementary C02 correct?

Anyways after reading all the great articles here, they seem more geared for the advanced densely planted high light setups. Would i still want to go with the same sort of sponges, ceramics, and floss style filter media as suggested in the guides? Will less plantlife mean it won't be very effective biologically filtering, or am i still mainly relying on the bacteria growing in the filter for that anyways?

I was thinking of getting some of those plastic bristly pieces for one of the baskets in the filter as well, is it recommended to just fill all the spots with different media or is it beneficial to leave any space empty?

One last plant question, but should i also fertilize the new plants while it's still cycling or should i wait until that's all done?

Thanks again, your help is greatly appreciated as always.

At just over 1 wpg, you will not need CO2.

Low growth plants will have little effect on the bio-filtration. Any media other than "chemical media" would be fine. I like to fill extra space with bio media.

It would be fine to start fertilizing right away.

I wouldn't fertalize the low light tank. In my experience, it will just grow algae. Since the plants don't grow that quickly, the fish waste provides enough. However, if you have a non-plant substrate like plastic gravel, some roots tabs help. They slow release, and I have had luck with them in my 29 gal (1.2 WPG)

What type of filter(s) do you have? There are some really good choices depending upon whether you've canister or HOB filters.

Back
Top Bottom