LTA & BTA - closing up regularly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feron

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a couple of LTA and a small BTA.
All three seem happy enough (they don't move around, have good coloration etc).
The LTA's close up regularly tho.. looks as though they are expelling their water.
(aka they close and shrink)
Probably oh...once a day or so?

Is this normal, healthy behavior?

Anemones are hard to read when it comes to behavior. If they open up when the lights are on and look good and your water tests good, I'd say it's normal.

From the limited knowledge on them I have, it's normal when transplanting them for them to [urge the old and suck in the new...
I just don't get why they'd be doing it regularly (unless, of course, I'm just uneducated and that's typical behavior).
Water is good, they extend out during light hours and close back up at night.. it's just wierd to seee em shrivel up for no particular reason..
But, they've been doing this for a couple of months with no bleaching or fission, so I guess they are fine.

I have a green BTA that has been in my tank for more than 2 months (I think). It stayed at the same spot where i first placed it. The BTA shrinks from 3 in. radius to .75 in. radius at night time or sometimes even when light is still on, once per 1 - 2 days. As Feron said, it's totally normal. But if ur anems are closing's periods are long (12 hours+?), then ur anems aren't happy.

It's normal for them to close up at night. But they are doing this during the day as well?

Back
Top Bottom