Making My First Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have sumps set up on 2 of my tanks so I have used them but have never made one. The first one was store bought. The second is homemade but I didnt make it, it came with my 110 gallon when I bought it.
My question is would it be a good idea to use a 55 gal to make a sump for a 60 gal. The 60 currently has the store bought sump on it but its not big enough to add a refugium or even a decent amount of live rock. It barely holds the protien skimmer and pump. I have a 55 sitting empty that I dont intend to use for fish again so was considering making it a sump tank with lots of extra room for live rock and a refugium.
My 60 currently has live rock and corals along with a few fish in it.

You can make the sump as big as you want. The bigger the better. As long as you have the space for it. I used a 55 for my sump with my 150. You can never have to much water volume

You can make the sump as big as you want. The bigger the better. As long as you have the space for it. I used a 55 for my sump with my 150. You can never have to much water volume

I was thinking along the same lines as far as volume. I want to add a decent size refugium for natural filtration and I cant add anything to the existing sump.

My refugium section is about 2 ft by 1 ft. I have a nice sandbed about 30 pounds of live rock and plenty of cheato in it. My nitrates stay at 0

Correct, the more water in the system the stabler it will be. Just remember it increases the cost of water exchanges.

Lol. I already have a pretty costly water change day. My normal weekly water change consists of mixing between 80 and 100 gallons of water. I buy a box of reef crystals that makes 200 gallons about every 2 weeks. Depends on how heavy I feed my tanks as to how big the water change is every week.

i too converted a 55g into a diy refugium for my 125. prob the smartest thing ive done in terms of filtration

Only reason I even do water changes is to replace trace elements. I never have any nitrates and I use phosegaurd(however its spelled)in my reactor

phosguard. and i have fought since day 1 to not run reactors but im making the jump to one in january

For putting the plexiglass pieces in to make different sections in the sump. I just need to make sure I use 100% silicone correct? No fingicides or additives.
I have to go to Lowes and get pipe fittings and caulk I wanna make sure I get the right thing.

GE Silicone 1. its 100% silicone with no additives. although the tube will say "not aquarium safe" or something to that affect, it is widely used in our hobby

Thanks you guys. Fortunatly gor me if Lowes dont have it Walmart is right next door so I can go to Lowes and get the pipe and fittings I need and if they dont have the silicone I can go to Walmart and look.

I am considering doing a trickle down type of filter going into the sump. I would like to be able to add extra filtration if needed. Design it kinda like a wet/dry filter. I dont like the filter socks so I was thinking of a trickle down system that goes thru several pieces of filter media to take the particulates out before the sump.

Back
Top Bottom