Making saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StrawberryBlonde7

Aquarium Advice Activist
How long after y make salt water are you supposed to wait to put it into the tank, I seem to be having trouble getting all the salt to dissolve and I'm worried the salinity will change.

Thanks

This would be probably will change. Not by much though. Are you starting a new tank? Or you just doing a water change on new tank ?

NemozDaddy said:
This would be probably will change. Not by much though. Are you starting a new tank? Or you just doing a water change on new tank ?

Doing 20% water change last time it ink it made the salinity change so I was just checking to make sure I'm doing it right.
Thanks

Well with a water change most of the time if the water has evaporated the salt stays in the tank. so normally you only have to add fresh water.

When u add the water to ur tank check the salinity constantly. So u allways get it right. ;)

Its recommended to let salt dissolve and aerate for 24hrs or overnight prior to use. This gives time for the salt to dissolve properly, pH to stabilize and for the water to become oxygenated.

Mixing is recommended to be done with a small powerhead or utility pump. Also salt will dissolve faster and better in heated such as the same temp as your tank. Too cold and the salt will have a hard time dissolving.

As long as your tank salinity and the salinity of your new water matches then your tanks salinity will not change. If it does, then it did not match.

Yup. Put a power head and heater in mixing bin of RODI. heat to 77F. When water has a circulation current going, add one cup or whatever every 30-60 seconds. This gives it time to dissolve between additions. Be sure to follow salt mix manufacturer's directions. Visit us in the chat room if you have more questions

Back
Top Bottom