Male Betta not swimming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqua7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Last Monday I bought 2 Otocinclus to go with my other 2. On Wednesday my Betta just sat at the bottom of the fish tank in a corner the whole day. Every day since then he just floats at the top motionless the whole day. He still eats. Does anyone know what may be wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Does he have any of these signs. tattered fins, fin rot, white spots, white patches, cuts, scrapes, lesions, cloudy eyes, etc. good luck

Fishman

is it cold where you live? Once when it was winter here my betta just stayed at the bottom of the tank. I filled the faucet with warm water, placed the tank inside, and in a few seconds he perked up like he just woke from a deep slumber.

-Dylan

I live in SoCal and the water temp is at 80F. Even when I've had the water cooler he has always been active. I think it might be due to constipation or parasites.

I live in SoCal and the water temp is at 80F. Even when I've had the water cooler he has always been active. I think it might be due to constipation or parasites.

If he has any constipation, look for bloating. If he is bloated, I would recommend cooking shelled peas, peel the shell off, crush the pea up and feed it to the betta once a day (Stop feeding when bloating is gone).

If he does have any internal parasite, look and see if his poop is clear and stringy (This will confirm he does).

Do you have any pics?

There's no bloating and no white stringy poop. He now seems to be losing color. One of the Otos was trying to suck on him and he barely had the energy to swim away. I have now moved him to a separate 3 gallon tank. I'm afraid he'll die soon.

What does it mean when guppies tail look like they are dying. ( loosing colour and shredding) does it mean they are going to die? I have only had them for 2 days? The rest of my fish are all fine

Try doing a small water change. Did you cycle the tank?

-Dylan

I did cycle the tank. It had been running for about 2 months with shrimp. I moved the shrimp out and left the Betta in there alone. I hope he gets well soon. I tried feeding him a pea and he didn't eat it. I'll try again tomorrow. I did do a PWC as well.

Should of quoted. Not you. That person questioning his guppy mishap.

-Dylan

Hi Dylan. I water changed on Sunday 20%. Cyphoned the gravel. I have 12 guppies, 3 platies, 3 ghost knife fish, 1 placo, 2 ballon mollies and a dalmation mollie. All the fish seem fine except since I brought the new guppies (10) 2 have died already and ones tail is starting to wither away.
This is my first ever tank and I think I'm out of my league. Poor fishes.

Any help would be great. I know I'm doing something wrong but don't know what, how do you learn without harming the fish?

Peddyt said:
Hi Dylan. I water changed on Sunday 20%. Cyphoned the gravel. I have 12 guppies, 3 platies, 3 ghost knife fish, 1 placo, 2 ballon mollies and a dalmation mollie. All the fish seem fine except since I brought the new guppies (10) 2 have died already and ones tail is starting to wither away.
This is my first ever tank and I think I'm out of my league. Poor fishes.

Any help would be great. I know I'm doing something wrong but don't know what, how do you learn without harming the fish?

Man you must have a pretty big tank for all those fish. What size tank, just wondering. Did you buy them from a LFS? Are there any white dots on the fish? I also suggest going to the LFS and purchasing freshwater salt. NOT MARINE SALT. The freshwater salt will add some nutrients and vitamins for the freshwater fish and add color to them. Do another water change. And by placo do you mean Pleco? What do you feed them?

-Dylan

Hi dylan. Was given a 70 gallon tank for my bday. Sorry pleco. 

I have attached a photo. Not got that salt so will try it. Sorry don't know what that abbreviation is but I get my fish from an aquatic shop.

Attachments

• image-2316722944.jpg
    image-2316722944.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 78
Its fine. I was the same way with all these abbreviations about 4 months ago! ;) it means local fish store. 70 gallon tank for your birthday :0 wow. Wish my dad got me a bigger tank! ;) weird it doesn't look like you got that many fish in that 70 gallon.! While your at that fish store pick up that aquarium salt *again make sure its freshwater salt or you can kill your fish! Also try buying more of a nutritious diet for them. Maybes one freeze dried blood worms.All fish LOVE bloodworms. Especially guppies! ;) You could switch on and off with the flakes and blood worms, and if you want pick up another type of food. It'll over all cost you $10 including the salt. Hey you should get some plants in that tank! Since your new, artificial plants are the best way to go, and maybe some driftwood but it might cost you a little extra. These hideouts will give a get away for the fish and overall look nicer!no offense but it does look a little plain. But nice for your first tank! :) I'm surprised you got such a big tank. Usually people new to the hobby go with something smaller, but its good you got something big! Big = easier to maintain and no over stocking problems! ;) as for those guppies, again do you notice any white spots on them? If not it could just be you got an old set of guppies or just a poor strain all together. And not that they are dieting but older. Hope this helped! If you need anything PM (message ;) ) me or make a new thread. Let me know how it all goes!

-Dylan

Also what I notice in your tank is seashells. NOT GOOD. Unless you bought them from a fish store and they are artificial. It could still have some salt from the ocean on it, which could trouble the fish. Good thing you got hardy fishes! But take those shells out. ;)

-Dylan

I have the same problem with my betta, I lost a dwarf gourami a few weeks back and now my betta is ill, I think in my case its probably related but im not sure.

Back
Top Bottom