Male Mollies sitting at the bottom of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

H.P

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I am not experienced in keeping fish. My 10 galon tank is one month old and I have 4 mollies (2 male and 2 female) and 2 female platies!

It is about two days that male mollies are sitting at the bottom of tank. They eat enough and mostly active during the day but at around 7 pm they go to the bottom of the tank and sit there. One male and one female are showing a strange behavior. They often try to swim vertically and seems they can not. It seems that their butt is heavy for them. They also do kind of shaking while swimming strangely.

Can any one please help me?

Thank you

I have some ideas but really their just a shot in the dark. Could you post your tank specs, water quality/paramaters, substrate filtration heating ect ect.
This can usually be the early sign of aeromonas or pseudomonas infection in fish. It can also be intestinal parasite/worms, or it could just be that they are scared from a vibration in the room or next to the tank. Or also scared from fighting other males. If they are swimming with their cadual (back) tail down that is also a sign of ick or mold, especially if they are clamped or shimmying (something you see at the pet store alot, mostly mold (fungus) and parasites like ick and velvet that makes them look like that at the store.

Unfortunately I o not have a test kit but other specs are:
10 galon tank with some natural plants and a Marina filter
temp: 79-82

I weekly change the water and use nutrafin Aqua plus and cycle as the treatment. How much of these treatments should I use and how often? May it be because of early tank syndrome?

How much water are you changing ?

I hate to say this but Mollies IME should be in 30g at least. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+1101+2089&pcatid=2089

They hit 3" and are very active.

Consider returning the Mollies.

If you want Platies, no more than 4 in a 10g. For now I'd stick with 2 Platies till you buy a test kit.

I think you have too many fish too fast and such large fish have big bioloads.

I would recommend a 50% water change now. Use dechlorinator. Make sure it also takes out Chloramines.

I'm betting you have high Ammonia.

For immediate, after the 50% change, I'd probably do large changes twice a week till you can get the Mollies out.

Smaller Nano fish are an option if you want to start with different stock.
My fav for 10g tanks are Celestial Pearl Danios. But not with Platies. They like planted tanks.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421134986.606614.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421135012.553374.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for your explanations.

I change about 20% of the water. I will do the same as you said but apparently I should buy a test kit.

Your Tan & Fish

Hello H P...

Your tank is too small for these fish. They're medium sized when they're adults. Mollies are extremely sensitive to changes in the water chemistry and the water in such a small tank is prone to sudden changes. Like when the fish do their business in the water and the stuff dissolves and creates ammonia. Even traces of ammonia will kill fish quickly. The fish are also crowed. I keep a lot of Platies and other livebearing fish and can tell you, they are active swimmers and need room to do it. I keep livebearers in a minimum 45 gallon tank, just for this reason.

Small tanks take a lot of care to keep the water clean. It would be best if you got a least a 30 gallon for these species. Save the tiny tanks for very tiny fish like a few Tetras.

Good luck.

B

Back
Top Bottom