Male Silver Mollie keeps pickin on the female Help is this ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lonestr37

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Im not so new at fish tanks and breeding but im new at the silver mollies and their behavior, I bought a couple yesterday and ever since they were put in the tank the male Mollie and a dalmation male keep poking at the pregnant female molie, more like pecks but dont know if they are hurting the female. Can someone explain these new species to me?

May be their way of asserting dominance in the tank, I'd say unless you see split fins or such I'd let things take their course.

The tabk is 29 gallons

The tank is 29 gallons and I been adding just a few fish at a time my count right now is 8 fishes in total all about 1 to 2 inches in length

I will keep an eye on them, they also got Ick and fungus signs so i added something called General cure to the tank. I purchased 5 guppies yesterday they never made it home took them back. Im guessing their fishes were bit sick. I've always kept aquariums 55 gallons and larger is been over 7 yrs since my last tank set up. This is like new to me all over again. Thank you for your answers

Never a good idea to introduce fish to a sick tank. You can see if fish are really sick by keeping them in a QT tank before introducing them to their pernament home.

Your molly problem may be a result of these diseases.

The tank wasn't sick i had fish there that were all healthy, But today I noticed that the new fish had ick, I followed the old rule of letting them in the bag half hour floating and making sure i introduced them slowly, but what I think I missed was looking at the ones i purchased to make sure they werent sick, I went along with the store help sales person sugestions.

Im sort of worried because I have babies in my floating nursery tank, plus healthy fish or at least were or are healthy I hope

Are they pecking at her stomach? In my experience that is a sign that she can potentially be pregnant. I noticed my male mollies pecked/prodded at the female's when she was pregnant.

Back
Top Bottom