Male swordtail bully

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shana0310

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I have a male sword tail that bullies my dwarf gourami. I think he may be responsible for nipping off her "antenna", I know that's not the real name but hopefully you know what I mean. I got them both the same day and they are currently in a 20 gallon long. The gourami wasn't eating and was very pale. I've moved to gourami to a hospital tank and she's doing so much better. There are 3 female swordtails to get his attention but it doesnt seem to help.

Is there any chance they could share the same tank one day? Any suggestions on how to make that happen?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well that stinks. The only possible tank I have is a 5 gallon QT tank. She's in there for now and I planned to keep her there til she's back 100%.

Aren't all male swordtails aggressive? I'd return him for another, but won't another be just as fisty? I'm not looking to breed
them so I guess I could just keep females, I just like the looks of the males much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The temperament of sword tails varies from fish to fish, some are more aggressive nippers and chasers than others. You could always try another one if you want to, though, I would just skip it, rehome the aggressor, and try something different down the road.

I agree remove the agressore I had a similar problem I had 2 male swords and 4 female plats and one male killed the other male then started to go after and stress out the platys once I removed the male everything got better

Back
Top Bottom