Mannn you can't always trust pet store workers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

portia

Aquarium Advice Regular
I posted about my tank, one of the denizens of which is what was labelled an "oto catfish" when I bought it. In doing research and looking at the pictures, though, I just didn't think it really looked like my fish. So I went back to the place I bought it, talked to the woman in charge of their fish department, and she told me no, it's an upside down catfish. I pulled up some pictures this morning, and they are a good bit more like my fish.

Now I have to go back and learn about them. Can't trust these people all the time-got to do your own research.

Anyone with good hints on upside downs?

They are nocturnal, they hide during the day and come out after lights out. I have had one for a few months in my 30g and it is always upside down under the heater. They are really shy but are neat little fish. They are bottom feeders so they will sort through the gravel and find bits of uneaten food.

You should be able to tell if its an upside down catfish fairly easy.... does it swim upside down? LOL. The fish's color pattern is opposite of what normal fish are. Normally fish are dark at the top and fade lighter as it gets to the bottom of the fish. Upside downs are the opposite, Lighter at the top and darker at the bottom.

Here's a pic of mine that I took with my phone:
0807082056.jpg

Last edited:
Difficult to tell just what he looks like

They are nocturnal, they hide during the day and come out after lights out. I have had one for a few months in my 30g and it is always upside down under the heater. They are really shy but are neat little fish. They are bottom feeders so they will sort through the gravel and find bits of uneaten food.

You should be able to tell if its an upside down catfish fairly easy.... does it swim upside down? LOL. The fish's color pattern is opposite of what normal fish are. Normally fish are dark at the top and fade lighter as it gets to the bottom of the fish. Upside downs are the opposite, Lighter at the top and darker at the bottom.

Here's a pic of mine that I took with my phone:
0807082056.jpg

Because he almost never comes out. From what I remember when I bought him, and as compared to the ones still at the store, I think upside down is correct.

Some of the sites say they like company but you say you just have the one and he's ok?

Yes, I only have one in my tank and he is fine. I got him back in August of '08. So I guess a little less than a year ago. He has a buddy now - my clown loach. They are always together wherever they are in the tank. Its kind of cool to watch them, if one gets chased out by my Angelfish the other will follow.

As I said before, the easiest way to ID the upside-down catfish is if it swims upside-down. :) In the picture you can see his dorsal fin aimed down.

How much did you pay? Around me, an upside-down cat costs about 4x more than an oto. Worst case, you could probably trade someone.

I don't remember, but

How much did you pay? Around me, an upside-down cat costs about 4x more than an oto. Worst case, you could probably trade someone.

Since they wrote "oto" on the bag, I got charged for that, I suppose!

I don't particularly care which species they gave me (in this case), both being small, peaceful little guys. I just want the correct info on what I have so I don't waste time learning about a different fish than the one I have.

This happened to me once as well, the fish store person said it was a peppered corydoras, but i found it a bit odd that it swam upside down most of the time, over the passing months it became apparent that it wasn't a corydoras at all since in about 4 months it became 2 and a half times the size of my other 2 corydoras, i finally managed to figure out that it was a featherfin synodontus. Unfotunately it became too large and aggressive and i had to give it away.

A note to all, if a fish looks even slightly different to what it should do it may be a good idea to do some research before buying

Ah, the Synodontis Eupterus. I got suckered in by a Pet Supplies Plus on one of those. The guy seemed to know what he was talking about. He said he had one in his tank and it wouldn't get bigger than 3". Well long story short its about 10" now in a 150g cichlid tank.

Just a note, upside down catfish can get to 4". My brother had one years ago that got to about 3.5". They are not exactly small fish but do not produce as much waste as some plceos.

Well, there's a plus side to him getting bigger

Ah, the Synodontis Eupterus. I got suckered in by a Pet Supplies Plus on one of those. The guy seemed to know what he was talking about. He said he had one in his tank and it wouldn't get bigger than 3". Well long story short its about 10" now in a 150g cichlid tank.

Just a note, upside down catfish can get to 4". My brother had one years ago that got to about 3.5". They are not exactly small fish but do not produce as much waste as some plceos.

He won't be able to be completely hidden from sight anymore!

could have been worse. sounds like you learned a good lesson with out too much pain.

Back
Top Bottom