Marbled Hatchetfish in my 33gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

McGrubble

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I am fairly new to the hobby, but have a very well experienced veteran coaching me through keeping and maintaining my 33gal hex tank.

Currently I have a school of 6 Neon and Cardinal Tetras, 1 Spotted Cory, and 4 Marbled Hatchetfish. The hatchetfish and cory were purchased 3 days ago and properly acclimated into the tank (were left in the bag for approx. 1 hour with tank water introduced into the bags every 15 min.) So far, the Cory has taken superbly to the tank and his tankmates. The Hatchetfish are doing well, to a degree.

My concern is that the hatchetfish have taken to swimming at the bottom, rarely even venturing to the middle of the tank, let alone the top. This has me worried because they wont eat the solid submersible food that the tetras enjoy, and if ever I feed them flakes, once they start sinking, the tetras immediately eat them. So, the hatchetfish are hardly getting anything to eat and I'm wary of overfeeding, letting extra food build up at the bottom of the tank.

Is there any way to convince the Hatchetfish to move to the top?
My filter is a Aqueon Quietflow Power Filter that has a flow rate of 200gph.
Is it that my filter isn't making a strong enough current at the top?

Just want the best for my fishies. Any and all advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried using a pipette to put the food directly in front of them? Maybe some bloodworms? Or those tiny crickets?

You can also try to feed at different parts of the tank. Lure the tetras to one side and when they are occupied go for the hatchetfish.

Coco, thanks for the pipette advice. The problem, however, is that the hatchetfish have started schooling with the tetras. Not exclusively, but they're rarely on the other side of the tank as the tetras.

I haven't gotten any bloodworms yet, but plan to the next time I visit the fish store.

On another noe, do you plan on getting more of the cories? I believe they are a shoaling fish so it would be best to have more.

Maybe another hatchetfish or two so they can shoal on their own?

Do you have any floating plants?

I originally bought 2 cories, but one died within 12 hours of being in my tank. Since I did everything correctly in acclimating it to the new tank, I suspect it was sick before I bought it. I do plan on getting at least 2 more and 2-3 more hatchetfish.

I've held off on purchasing hanging plants in fear that it would diminish the current that hatchetfish love so much. The surface of my tank already has a large piece of drift wood taking up a lot of space, which I assume gives them enough "cover". But maybe not? This is a picture of my tank during a 40% water cycle. I currently have the 2 plants plus a 3rd of micro sword on the right floor of the tank that the tetras and hatchetfish really like.

Attachments

• 40percentcycle.JPG
    40percentcycle.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 423
It appears the tank is fairly well lit so combine that with the fact there is no floating or high plant cover they feel move secure joining the other tetra school. Is there a reason the tank is only 1/2 full? If you'd fill it and even just add some hanging moss on the beautiful upper right part of the DW I think you'd see a big difference in behavior. The way that part of the DW shadows the water under it is perfect for hatchets. I did something similar with DW and moss in a tank with hatchets. Plus your stocking is light so if you'd fill the tank you will have not only more stable water conditioins it will be giving the fish more swimming room. Adding a couple more hatchets help too.

Back
Top Bottom