Marbled Hatchetfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
adadkins1 said:
Gboy66, that is weird. I love the Glowlights though, hardier than a Neon but nearly as handsome.

Agreed, i couldnt be happier with them. They are my buddies, my oldest fish:)

And I should have registered from the pic that you had some *lol* Maybe they're invading his floating plants? :D

Haha, I overlook stuff like that all the time. I guess they may be commandeering the floating plants. LOL

I agree that Glowlight Tetras are extremely hardy and I like them because they are not too spastic.

Sweet ^_^

I have 3 Pearl Gouramis in quarantine waiting to go into the tank--it'll be interesting to see if they take over the floating plants. The Corys seem to prefer darting up to the surface for a breath where the plants are rather than in the open. =D

Haha, they should be fine. They may claim it as their territory, but it shouldn't be anything overly aggressive.

^_^ I don't figure they will, but I can totally see them staring at the cory as he darts past with a look on their face like "Dude...my plants. Get your own." hehehe

Yes, they do school somewhat. Not quiet as tightly as some fish species, but they will follow each other around. Sometimes they will form two schools.

Went to the LPS to check on some Marbled Hatchetfish. They still had about the same number as they did a week ago and they were all healthy and fairly active. I got 8 so they will hopefully do better than with smaller numbers. :fish1:

My only problem right now is that my Pearl Gourami seems to think they are intruders and he intimidates them. :devilish: I'm hoping that he doesn't turn into a bully like my DG. If he does, I will have to take him back to the LFS. I don't know what why he thinks he owns the place.

Anyway, hopefully everything works out. Here's some pictures!

WOW! beautiful fish!!

Here is the final update:

It has been 2 weeks and all the Hatchets have settled in. None of them got any sickness or attempted suicide so that is a plus. They have also started staying out in the open schooling around and having a good ole time.

Highly recommend them!

You may have selected the wrong fish as neon-killers.

Oh i doubt the gourmi will have any problems with them. My angels and ram dont mind my hatchets at all! Haha

I never really liked gourmis too much though because i think one ate all of my neons a while back..

If you had angelfish in with your gouramis and neon tetras, I would tend to blame the angels for the neon genocide. They are neon tetra's natural predator.

James_in_MN said:
You may have selected the wrong fish as neon-killers.

If you had angelfish in with your gouramis and neon tetras, I would tend to blame the angels for the neon genocide. They are neon tetra's natural predator.

We didnt at the time

Had to resurrect this thread and see how the hatchets are doing. :) I'm still going back and forth with whether or not to get them. I notice you're in Morristown.....did you get them at The Aquatic Critter? They have some in now, and I really want them! Would be good to know that the hatchets from there are healthy. The critter has always been great in my experience. :)

Hello Jill, they are still doing wonderfully. They have gotten even more active and they rarely hide. I haven't had any issues with them accepting food: flakes, pellets, frozen, and live all get gobbled up on sight.

I actually got these from a pet shop here in town, so I'm still amazed how healthy they are. Morristown is about 4 hours east of Aquatic Critter, so unfortunately I've never even been in this store. Due to this fact I cannot really give you advice on the reputability of AC and their fish. I'd say if you think they get in healthy stock, go for them. I can't say that you may not have problems, but my experience with these fish has been nothing but positive. I'd say slow acclimation and maybe even feeding garlic infused foods will make the transition fairly painless.

I will say, looking at their website, they have only had the fish in for a few days. If possible could you wait about a week before purchasing them? I don't know if they QT their fish, but waiting a week or two will ensure you get healthier fish that have transitioned (for the most part) to the local water supply.

fishyperson3010 said:
Hi
Sorry to hijack this thread but do you need a tight fitting lid and what do you do during water changes

Thanks
:D

You need a lid that has no openings, and at least some cover in all areas. In water changes, just open the lid right when your about to syphon, and close it right after.

Great to know they are alive and well btw!!!!

Not highjacking! I agree that as long as you don't have a cover that leaves gaps you shouldn't need to worry about them jumping during water changes/top offs. I used some window/door screen to cover the gaps for my tank. I haven't really seen them jump that much, but I wouldn't open the lid and just walk away for any length of time.

Gboy66 said:
You need a lid that has no openings, and at least some cover in all areas. In water changes, just open the lid right when your about to syphon, and close it right after.

Ok thanks I have very small openings at the back for the wires will this be ok

Back
Top Bottom