Marestail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caudelfin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I did not find anything while searching. Anyone know anything about this plant?
Marestail or hippurus vulgaris

Ed

Marginal bog plant, not a true aquatic. Will most likely rot and foul up water if left completely submerged for extended periods. Considered a pond plant for near-shore placement.

google search is your friend :)

Marestail - horsetail,
Well, it does say hippurus which probably is horse and in female form so it must be for it says Vulgaris which is vulgar so it is a vulgar horse and that probably means female, just guessing here but it fits perfectly. :lol:

Rhymes,

I had to use the latin name caudelfin gave, as Marestail gave me LOTS of results for other species. That's why it's always best to give latin name when possible.

caudel, its possible it might survive if you let part of it grow emersed. If it starts to look like its dying off, remove it before it rots and fouls your water. Let us know how it works out. I could see palaudrum people being interested in this plant, as well as pond people.

I will keep you infomed. The nursery tag says it is a level 4 plant that may be set 24 inches in water depth, the bottom of my pond, and it will grow 12 - 16 inches above the water overall height can = 36 to 40 inches. I will soon know, the water plant nurseryman told me to put it down about 2 or 3 below the surface and as soon as it grows to the surface move it down another two or three inches until it is finally set at the max depth of 24 in or if I desired I could leave it at about 12 in beneath the surface.

caudel

In the future, if you're putting something in a pond, say so. This is a pond plant, so it should be fine. Pond plants and aquarium plants aren't 100% interchangable.

FWIW vulagaris, where our word vulgar comes from means common. The meaning of "rude" is a relatively recent meaning of the word vulgar as far as I know....

In other words vulgar language is "common lkanguage".... and language of commoners would have been crude in those days.... LOL it still is!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom