Marine land bio wheel or tetra whisper???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish man

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My filter just craped the bed, what is better the marine land bio wheel or the tetra whisper??? Please help

I am partial to the biowheel. I'm using a marine land 200 & a 150 on 2 different tanks. I like the marine land because they have 2 media slots & the biowheel for the bacteria. I like being able to change the cartridges without worrying about losing the the bacteria. And they have a very good flow rate.

I have a 150 and a 280 that I love but I also have 2 400s and thoes I will be replacing with canister filters. The 400 is noisy and ive tried everything including new parts that the company sent out ( one is brand new) and it only quieted it down for a few days but they do move water well and do a great job. Not shure why the 400 is so noisy and the other 2 arent.

I was wondering about the emperor 400. Im setting up a 125 non drilled tank and was considering using 2 of them for the flow rate instead of a canister. Believe l will use 2 smaller canisters. Thanks for the info !!

I was wondering about the emperor 400. Im setting up a 125 non drilled tank and was considering using 2 of them for the flow rate instead of a canister. Believe l will use 2 smaller canisters. Thanks for the info !!
One of the 400s i got used with a 75 gallon and it was real noisy so I bought a new one and its noisy too. but i reserched it and some say they are real quiet. But mine are bad enough that i can hear them in the bedroom and the tank is in the living room, same floor. Im looking at the fluval 406.

Yea lve been lookin at the fluval and the rena. Both seem to have pretty good reviews. And you don't have to have is much clearance against the wall with canisters either. Don't I know if I want to go with 1 big 1 or 2 smaller to double the flow rate.

My penguin 350 is quiet. The only thing I can hear is alil bit of waterfall effect but that's it. And their price tag is nice too

I think you get more than your money's worth with the penguins. Ive always been a big fan of the bio wheel & they seem to move the water better than the rest. Its a shame that the 350 does not come with 2 pumps like the 400

The 400 has a single inpeller and duel outlets with 4 total cartridge locations. The 280 is half a 400 so it takes the same size media.

Yes the 280 has 2 slots also I have a plastic cage with bio rings in the extra slot

I started a tank with the fairly new Nexx canister filter from API. I love it! Its sooo much easier to do maintenance and media changes on than a fluval or any other can i have seen. You can also add an extension to it to increase flow and gph. So easy and affordable! I would recommend going to the API web site and watching he 3 minute video on this filter!

rupp3322 said:
I started a tank with the fairly new Nexx canister filter from API. I love it! Its sooo much easier to do maintenance and media changes on than a fluval or any other can i have seen. You can also add an extension to it to increase flow and gph. So easy and affordable! I would recommend going to the API web site and watching he 3 minute video on this filter!

Thank you I will check it out.

I prefer the Marineland filters over the Tetras.

Like mentioned above, dual media slots is what I like. I use the regular cartridge (or it's generic BIO3 equivalent) in the main slot to catch the bulk solids and the front slot I have a generic clamshell frame holding a thick piece of blue foam as additional bio media.

I love my marineland HOBs !!!! Just bought a marineland c-530 canister at a wonderful price for my new 125g. I hope the canisters work as well as their HOBs

Back
Top Bottom