Marineland Corner Tank System 5 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pwrflpills

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have the above 5 gal corner tank. Is this suitable for a saltwater set up? I've seen stores that say it is, but I'm skeptical. I'd like it to be, but I'm concerned that the lighting is too limited. I have an 11 watt cf bulb in it right now with a couple neons and small plants, but even the small aponogetons have basically not grown over the last year. Could be a fert issue, but still...

What are your feelings on this tank for saltwater? What would I need to add to make it suitable if it isn't already? Thanks!

Doable if you replace the lighting and want a reef tank. If all you want is a sw tank with some fish in it, you can probably just mod that hood and keep the lighting that is in it now. Hoods on saltwater tanks are pretty much a no no anyways (they trap CO2 which causes pH to drop) but you might be able to alter it in some way, I don't know. If you invested in a CF fixture that could hang above the tank (how wide is it in the middle?) it may work. Of course, you'd have to completely get all new sand for it, salt, a hydrometer or refractometer (which is 100x more accurate than a hydrometer), probably 2 small powerheads, test kits, etc. It'd definitley be an investment.

Cool, thanks. Yeah, it's funny how some vendors are just like, "it's great for a saltwater set up." Just throw stuff in, watch it eventually die, and buy some more! :)

I have the exact same tank and used it as a SW tank untill I moved! I just put a 20 watt sunlight and a 15 watt acnitic (sp) on it and it was awesome! I also trashed the whole hood and put a AC on it with some LR and a big powerhead (turned it on its lowest setting though lol)!

Back
Top Bottom