Marineland Heater Alert- Stealth and Stealth Pro's Recalled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You want to get rid of these heaters ASAP!!!!!!!! Don't even give it a chance. Because of this little heater my tank cracked top to bottom! Because of the heater!!!!!

What a pain...

Marineland issued a call tag w/FedEx to pick up my heater (boxed up) on Wednesday.

Wednesday afternoon, FedEx guy leaves a tag on the door stating that a 2nd attempt would be made. Nevermind that the door was open and our dog in that room. He never even knocked- just walked up, stuck "missed you" tag, and left.

Call FedEx. Given the runaround, then after giving the number on the door tag, was told that there was no record of FedEx coming to house, nor was there anything in the system FOR a pickup!

The fellow with customer service said to wait to see if the driver came back Thursday...

Nope

Call Marineland, and the nice lady said to just go to the post office and mail it, putting in a copy of the receipt for shipping, and they would send me a check with postage added...

We've had some serious issues with FedEx here for a while... So this wasn't really a shock. Just frustrating.

at least marineland is doing the right thing for you. that sucks though about fedex.... they're really good around here. I guess it all depends on who the driver is though.

mfdrookie516 said:
at least marineland is doing the right thing for you. that sucks though about fedex.... they're really good around here. I guess it all depends on who the driver is though.

Yep. My recent new laptop was being delivered via FedEx. Stayed literally by the door (door open, full-glass storm door closed). Kept tabs via the tracking site. About 3PM, the tracking changes to attempt made, no-one to receive package.

I immediately call FedEx and explain that I was 3 feet frosty OOEN DOOR and that no FedEx truck had even been on my street (nor was a door hanger left... which is policy).

Ended up speaking to some form of manager that gave me the driver's cell phone number (after he apparently called the driver and instructed him to meet me). Was a major hassle. The driver was trying to get away early for a holiday weekend... By skipping deliveries.

Apparently, that driver still is employed...

I've had 2 older model (though not actually used more than a year or two) 250w Stealths fail in about the last month. Thermostats stuck in both cases, just found the 2nd one earlier today. The first was in a 33L, temp was around 86 when I found it, and I lost 5 little brevis fry. The BN pleco's and endler's were fine. The one I noticed today in a 40 breeder had the temp at 82, but no losses among the BN or L-134's in the tank.
I also have 3 of the Pro models, 1 still in the unopened package, the other 2 haven't been used since I started seeing multiple posts on different forums about them exploding.
Worst thing is, among 13 tanks all but 3-4 of the heaters are Stealths. So much for their lifetime guarantee, the main reason I got them in the first place.

I am having an issue because they are the only heaters I have, and if I have to take them out to ship, then my bettas are going to freeze. I don't have the money to go out and buy 3 brand new heaters.
I am hoping they will last until I move again, because I will have to adopt my bettas out anyway, so I won't need the heaters. :( :( :(

To those of you who are struggling to obtain a refund for your recalled Marineland heaters, I suggest you just go to your local PetSmart. Read below for details.

I owned two 50W Marineland Stealth Pro heaters. I bought two 50W Aqueon Pro heaters to replace them. After I had replaced the heaters in my tank I took the two Marineland heaters to PetSmart. They took the two heaters and gave me $24.99+tax (each) in cash.

Details: I had bought the two heaters at PetSmart (one in a 10-gallon starter kit, the other separately), but I did not need to provide ANY evidence of this for the recall refund. I simply handed them a Ziplock bag which included the two heaters. The power cords are part of the heater, so those were necessarily included. I also included the four (two each) suction cups, but those weren't required by PetSmart.

I walked into the store and went straight to a checkout line. I handed the cashier the heaters in the bag. She looked up a code from a store manual which confirmed that these heaters were on recall. I got the cash without any other issues.

That is where communication is vital. The local Petsmart and PetCo both have stickers posted in the heater section with information on contacting Marineland directly to handle the recall.

i just watched a video of a guy who had one and it blew up i mean expoded showed shrapnel all over the living room and it let out some gas that infected his eye badly if i find the link again i will post it

Good luck getting petsmart to replace them. I called today to see about replacing my 50w and 300w. They said that only 100-250w stealth pro's were recalled, and that there was no way they would replace mine without a receipt. I guess i'll be making a call to marineland.

Problem is, what are they going to replace them with? The cheaper glass visi-therms that haven't been recalled for exploding, but aren't any better as far as reliability in general?

petsmart is replacing them with aqueons... I have one and its a great heater... marineland is apparently sending checks. I wont use a glass heater, so aqueons will be what I replace them with.

Marineland didn't give an option- they are sending refund checks (for how much???).

I bought an Aqueon that is similar in construction to the StealthPro- plastic submersible.

Back
Top Bottom