Max's 40 Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The excel did help with some of the BBA, but there is still a lot (too much for my liking) left. I think when I get the chance (most likely next Wednesday) I will move all the fish to another tank and nuke it with hydrogen peroxide.

I FINALLY got the chance to nuke the tank with h202! :) I will post updated pics after it's done. So far the fish are ok. After 15 mins with the h202 dose in the tank, I terminated it by doing a 50% water change. I also dosed Excel (per the recommended initial dose on the bottle). I also dosed EI ferts (N, P, K, T). I will post a new (and hopefully less algae infested) FTS tomorrow.

Last edited:
Ok, I got a full tank shot. The BBA is still present. I think it's too early to tell how effective the 1-2 punch method was.

img_2685495_0_74cd09d1fecb924187ee4cee096fc4ec.jpg

img_2685495_1_8a70baf9b5cfe409f13e1503eb10b32f.jpg

As of right now this tank is blue! I added methylene blue because the apisto panduros laid eggs again. In the past I have lost the eggs to fungus, so I wanted to play it on the safe side.

BBA has really started to take over. I am considering getting all new substrate (possibly something other than Aquasoil) and maybe a new layout, if I can't get the BBA off of the driftwood. I'm also thinking of switching back to micro sword. Easier to grow, spreads out much faster. I also liked the look of a taller "lawn". Also, the dark green contrasted with the bright green blyxa better. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I really feel like boosting plant mass would help, especially fast growing stems.

I agree. I'm trying to decide between dwarf hairgrass and micro sword. I will be buying some stem plants for my other tank soon, so maybe I can get some for this tank as well.

I'm not a huge fan of micro sword. I don't know, I jut don't like it much. I like UG, HC, and DHG. I like Elatine Triandra but it grows so dang fast I hate trimming it. In a larger tank it might be easier to maintain though.

I am making some changes with this tank. I think I am going to go to low tech (or lower tech) and grow some easier plants... So it should actually look good.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom