Max's 40 Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok well thats better than what i was expecting lol... i was afraid you'd say like $325+ i can deal with 180-250 for a stand as long as it holds the weight :)

You could always get a 55/75 stand too, I got mine for $120 and it would give you more room to put stuff

You could always get a 55/75 stand too, I got mine for $120 and it would give you more room to put stuff

IMO that wouldn't be the best because the 40B would stick out over the edge of the stand.

Those are some nice angels! Im thinking of getting some too but i have to move my older angel otherwise they will most likely get killed

This is just from what I read, but a 9l bag of AS is good for a 10 gallon. So wouldn't 18l be not enough for a 40b? I would think it would be, especially taking in to consideration the awesome footprint of the tank :brows:

This is just from what I read, but a 9l bag of AS is good for a 10 gallon. So wouldn't 18l be not enough for a 40b? I would think it would be, especially taking in to consideration the awesome footprint of the tank :brows:

I have an extra 3l bag laying around that I can also use. I calculated it and it would be just asboiut the right amount with both 9l bags and a 3l bag.

Actually, according to ADG's store website, a 9 liter bag is good for a 20 gallon (either high or long). That means that a 9 liter bag can cover about 360 square inches. My tank is 548 square inches, so two 9 liter bags should be plenty. A 9 liter bag in a 20 long may not be very deep, but with two 9 liter bags I will have more than enough to cover it. I may still add the 3 liter bag, but it depends in how deep the 9 liter bags are.

Actually, according to ADG's store website, a 9 liter bag is good for a 20 gallon (either high or long). That means that a 9 liter bag can cover about 360 square inches. My tank is 548 square inches, so two 9 liter bags should be plenty. A 9 liter bag in a 20 long may not be very deep, but with two 9 liter bags I will have more than enough to cover it. I may still add the 3 liter bag, but it depends in how deep the 9 liter bags are.

A 20L has a significantly larger amount of surface area than a 20H so when they say it is 'good for both' I wonder how deep they are talking.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the bag maybe?

I googled it and came up with this.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=145934

If you decide to slope it you can use some other material to make up the bulk of the slope, like a large rock.

That's actually a great idea! :)
Any suggestions for a foreground plant? I was thinking Brazilian micro sword (lilaeopsis brasilensis) but it grows really slow. I guess HC may be a good option too.

Micro sword would be good, but usually stores sell "aquarium grass" that works quite well, not sure what it exactly is. If you want something that will just be fully grown, you could tie a couple of moss balls down, and they look cool. Especially for a breeder, fry could hide there.

Micro sword would be good, but usually stores sell "aquarium grass" that works quite well, not sure what it exactly is. If you want something that will just be fully grown, you could tie a couple of moss balls down, and they look cool. Especially for a breeder, fry could hide there.

I like moss balls, but in my other tanks they caused cladophora algae (what the moss balls are) on the sides of the tank. I am leaning towards Brazilian (at leat I think its Brazilian) micro sword because it is a nice deep green grass and it usually stays lower than an inch. The larger micro sword species grow to a few inches tall.

Most of the stuff I ordered arrives on the 3rd. I will need to move all the fish back to my other tanks let the Aquasoil soak for a week or two because it leaches ammonia for a while. I may need to quarantine the angels for a while until the Aquasoil stops leaching ammonia, or at least until the BB can support the Aquasoil's ammonia.

What do you guys think? Should I get seiryu stone or some kind of driftwood? I am still deciding.

Back
Top Bottom