Maybe SW Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all, so I started a thread like this in the freshwater section. As some of you may know, I currently don't have any tanks, but may be interested in setting one up in the future. If I go SW, there are some things I am curious about.

First off, would I need a skimmer for a 40 gallon tank? If I did get another tank, I was thinking around 40 gallons, but I am not sure yet. :) Also, I was curious as to what you guys do with your water change water, and your skimmate from your protein skimmer.

If a skimmer would be beneficial (which I am thinking it probably would be), what would you recommend for a tank around forty gallons?

Thanks, I may have more questions in the future, but this is all for now.

Hello! I would recommend a skimmer for your 40 gallon tank if you are thinking about going reef. This helps pull all the junk out of the water so it's more prestine. I have a 55g and I use a reef octopus HOB skimmer bh-100, they also have the bh-1000 for smaller/bigger tanks I forget which one it is. I flush the skim down the toilet, rinse it out in the sink and put it back on. And the water change water I use to shower.

Just kidding lol. My block is kind of hilly so I just walk to the end of the drive-way and pour the water down the street, or out the back door over the deck, whichever I feel like that day lol. I started with a 30g freshwater and a small chi 5g tank I had a goldfish in (before I knew anything) and when I got my 55 salt up and running it has been my main focus. I love it so much and everything is so interesting. Good luck - hope to see a SW build here !

What are your long term plans for the tank? Are you thinking reef or fish-only? For reef, I would have a skimmer. For FOWLR, it couldn't hurt, but probably is not a necessity. I have a 75g FOWLR with no skimmer and my parameters always stay in check.

A skimmer isn't necessary but is recommended. Make sure it's rated for bigger than your tank. A 65g skimmer would work great for a 40 gallon tank. I went for a year on my 90 gallon before finally adding a skimmer and never had any issues with water quality.

Back
Top Bottom