Mbuna in a 40b?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, but I would do a species only tank. I personally would do 12-13 Pseudotropheus demasoni or Pseudotropheus saulosi as this would get you the classic yellow/blue combination.

How many males and females of these?

This tank is too small for the standard mbuna, correct?

How many males and females of these?

This tank is too small for the standard mbuna, correct?

With demasoni the male to female ratio isn't as important as the amount of fish due to their high conspecific aggression.

With saulosi I would shoot for 2-3 males and 8-9 females.

Yes the tank is to small for anything but the dwarf species.

Could I do a group of ten saulosi and maybe a group of some small synodontis or a BNP? What tankmates could work with these in a 40b

How is this for a good setup?
40 gallon breeder
12 P. saulosi 3 males 9 females
78 degrees Fahrenheit
Argonite sand
Some smooth rocks in a scape layout
Ac50 filter with no carbon and extra biomax

I would also want some sort of refugium to keep nitrates at a minimum. I know I would still have to do some water changes, but I would hope not as many.

How is this for a good setup?
40 gallon breeder
12 P. saulosi 3 males 9 females
78 degrees Fahrenheit
Argonite sand
Some smooth rocks in a scape layout
Ac50 filter with no carbon and extra biomax

I would also want some sort of refugium to keep nitrates at a minimum. I know I would still have to do some water changes, but I would hope not as many.

Sounds good but I would run a larger filter like a AC70 at the least.

agree with everything Hukit just said, and saulosi was the fish I was going to recommend. The females will stay a beautiful yellow color and the males will turn blue with black barring. I also use pool filter sand in all of my tanks for substrate

Hukit nice pics of your tank in the other thread btw, the colors really pop.

Back
Top Bottom