Medical Salts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brad M

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does medical salt have any benefits it a brackish or salt water tank? Brackish is at .014sg

What do mean by 'medical' salt'?

Saltwater health questions should be posted in the saltwater section of the forum for more appropriate help.

Does medical salt have any benefits it a brackish or salt water tank? Brackish is at .014sg

You asked about the benefits of ' medical salts' in a brackish or salt water tank. You will not find a lot of help with with a sw question in the fw section.

Can you please clarify what you mean by 'medical salts'? NaCl? MgSO4? Another additive with a salt or medicinal base?

I was posting about my brackish tank just adding in to my question sorry if it was confusing.

I mean something like jungle jims aquarium salts.

Since this is NOT a saltwater question and just a question about if it affects your BRACKISH tank. I will have to say that if you are medicating. Just keep an eye on your levels. =)

I was posting about my brackish tank just adding in to my question sorry if it was confusing.

I mean something like jungle jims aquarium salts.

Can you post a link to the product or list its exact ingredients? I could not find any info on it but I vaguely recall this/a similar product being mentioned awhile ago and it contained methylene blue.

Can you post a link to the product or list its exact ingredients? I could not find any info on it but I vaguely recall this/a similar product being mentioned awhile ago and it contained methylene blue.

Hmm yea I tried to find a link to it last night after the other posts I saw ( I was starting to think there may be no such thing and its only crystalized instant ocean or something just marketed as a medical salts) I have a bag of it at home ill post those ingredients later tonight.

"Aquarium salt" is usually just sodium chloride (table salt) and while some people swear by it for freshwater tanks there is little scientific evidence that it is useful for anything other than treating ich or reducing nitrite toxicity (although outside of a cycling tank we shouldn't really need that benefit). I dont think it would be of much use in a brackish tank. It would just push your salinity higher, which may cause problems depending on what species you keep.

Back
Top Bottom