Meet My Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KantGetRite

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is my 15g Aqueon Column Tank. It currently houses 6 Harleqin Rasboras, 5 Neon Tetras, 4 Platies (Sunburst, Blue, Reg Wag, and Reg Mickey Mouse). For the first time in 10 days I had some ammonia show up and my Nitrates have shown up as well. Last night we had a 3 hour power outage so I would if that was the cause of the spike in ammonia.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 99
  • tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 100
  • tank3.jpg
    tank3.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 91
  • tank4.jpg
    tank4.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 95
It could have been the surge.

If your filter and heater failed to work for 3 hours, I am sure your fish have been swimming in their own waste.

Causing the spike in ammonia.
Hope this helped=)

How long has your tank been set up?
What do you mean ammonia showed up for the first time in 10 days? 10 days ago you had ammonia also?
I don't think a 3 hour power outage would have caused an ammonia spike. In a cycled tank there should always be 0 ammonia.

It finished cycling about 10 days ago. It hadn't shown any ammonia or nitrites in that time. I did a fish in cycle so I know that it should have had ammonia if it wasn't cycled. How could there not be a slight spike in ammonia when there was no filtration at all for 3 hours?

3 hours probably isn't enough to build up substantial ammonia, especially not enough to show up on a test the next day.

If the tank just finished its cycle 10 days ago...Did you put all those fish in at once? or even within a couple days of each other? Was it a fishless cycle, my guess is you stocked it to fast and the bioload was just to much for the little bit of bacteria you had established

The ammonia was still at a small level. I added them days apart but that might have been why there was an increase but in all my testing it didn't show until after the power outage. As far as being overstocked, I'm not at this point with the size of my fish. When they get to be full adult size then I will be overstocked but by then I plan on having a 50 gallon that I'll be moving some of them into.

The ammonia was still at a small level. I added them days apart but that might have been why there was an increase but in all my testing it didn't show until after the power outage. As far as being overstocked, I'm not at this point with the size of my fish. When they get to be full adult size then I will be overstocked but by then I plan on having a 50 gallon that I'll be moving some of them into.

Ok, that's good.

Back
Top Bottom