Megaflow overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DOLPH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a megaflow overflow and am having problems plumbing the drain with PVC. I have not been able to find a connector to fit the provided bulkhead. I've connected 1" and 1 1/4" Flex PVC to the bulkhead and both have leaked (Note, Flex PVC does not screw on). I attributed it to the fact that they do not go up all the way over the bulkhead fitting. I used 1 1/2" Flex PVC and this fit snugly over the bulkhead and solved the leaking problem. My real problem is that I want to use PVC. PVC will allow me to connect a Tee and a ball valve to diver some of the water to another area within the sump. AGA recommends using flex tubing on the returns. Has anyone connected PVC to the megaflow drain and if so, how?

can you get some pics as I don't have a mega flow (yet) and I haven't really looked at them very closely...I know there are ways of doing it because I've seen pics of tanks with PVC plumed from them...

The problem is flex pvc isn't made to slide over the bulkhead. It needs to be primed and cemented inside the the bulkhead. You need a slip bulkhead and the necessary PVC primer and cement. It isn't made to be pushed on and stay.

I have the Megaflow Model 4 on my 210g, here's what I did. For the drain, I used the provided flexible tube since there is pretty low pressure and had no problems. For the return I hard plumbed it with PVC piping, for the same reasons as you want to do it. The only way to do that is do buy a different bulkhead. The ones provided only work with flexible tubing. I got my megaflow online, but found a store who sold them, where I was able to get the seperate bulkhead for the hard plumbing. When I get home i'll try and take a picture of what i'm using for the returns. I have had it running for several months and havn't had any problems with leaks yet. It's gonna be a little more time, money, and effort, but completely worth it IMO.

Back
Top Bottom