Melafix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryan1980

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anybody got any experience of using Melafix?I have got a sick Malawi that needs treatment.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

According to studies done and API it has "limited effectiness against a few certain types of bacteria" and im assuming mostly gram + aerobic
What exactly is wrong with your chiclid?

She's been attacked by the others,she has damaged fins and bad eye and keeps coming up to the surface,she's eating just not a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You'll have to remove the fish if you have a separate tank. Quarantine status.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've had a few... die this way and eventually it'll get picked on enough ( if consistent) that it'll die, what other fish in the tank do you have?

I have no quarantine tank atm,I was hoping to maybe treat her in the main tank. It's a mixed Malawi tank,peacocks,yellow labs,auretus,yellow tail acai.

Maybe a tuper ware container and attach it at the top where enough surface oxygen agitation is, also maybe poke a few holes in it for circulation. Just a suggestion unless someone else has one in the forum.

You'll have to remove the fish if you have a separate tank. Quarantine status.

+1 to this, even a 5g bucket works.
Much better to treat separately.

IMO I'm not a fan of the -Fix's. The contents is 99% water.

Caleb

Really 99% water? ,I've got a breeding box I can attach to the side of the tank,temporarily,she's feedin,just lost her coordination.
I'd like to save her,she's got one dodgy eye and part her tail missing.

I'm guns try to catch her and put her in breeding box at the top of the tank.

I'm guns try to catch her and put her in breeding box at the top of the tank.

What good would that do?
Could you take a picture? A video? Sounds like a pretty common type infection, maybe settin in after bullying or fighting and nipping.
A ten gallon tank is only $12 anywhere you go.
IF i had a fish get like this i would put it in a ten gallon tank and feed Terramycin antibiotic food and also put some methylene blue in the water each day for a week and it would clear up 99% of the time.

Thanks for that coral bandit,looks like ill have to think again.

Ryan, honestly, you need to solve the bullying problem and just maybe get new fish that are compatible with eachother, don't rely on petstore people google it first and decide what types you want to get before you go to the store. I could suggest a medicated food containing oxytetracycline and keeping them in a Hospital tank with methylene blue solution for those that are damaged but not too bad off, but the root of the issue definately looks like bullying.

It's appropriate that Melafix is 99% water, because tea tree oil is so strong.

Tea tree oil has its place but it doesn't really help heal wounds. I'd skip the Melafix unless some of the more experienced people here are suggesting its bacterial.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I feel like I say this alot but it's worked for me and that's salts. It'll help prevent infection 0.5% salts, I usually put a few tea spoons in the 60 when I had large ones biting. But best thing is to separate and treat honestly.

I also believe freshwater aquarium salt has helped but have zero evidence and it's a highly debated and not well researched question.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom