Merry Christmas - Have a 60 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

60GallonTank

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I just bought my girlfriend a 60 gallon tank. She has never had fish before except a goldfish in a 1 gallon tank so that doesn't count. I did not think, I just bought. I regret going so large to start... I've heard keeping fish can be very difficult, but now that she is googley eyed I have to give it a try.

I bought a 60 gallon tank which came with a stand and lights. I also got a top mounted filter which says it is good for up to 75 gallons (will double check that fact) and a heater (200 watt) which says it is good for up to 70 gallons. Both made by Marine something from Petco (the expensive brand there). I just recently took her to petco and bought 40 pounds of gravel, I'm guessing we want about an inch of gravel at the bottom. Also I got some water conditioner... and some bacteria drops? And tonight we will be slowly filling it up with water with gallon jugs.

This is one of the reasons I'm here, to find what pump I should get to easily cycle the water every week.

I am also here to choose some fish. I have made a stand on only one type of fish that I would like.... a plecostomus. I am one of the few people in the world that think these fish look awesome. For her though... she is insistent on only two things. Colorful, and plenty. Whereas I would prefer some larger fish.

I will post pictures tonight when we have set it all up and got it ready to wait a week or so to put some fish in.

I am looking for suggestions on a water pump, preferably a cheap one, and types of fish that can coexist. Also any other advice or info would be great. Thanks for reading!

Ok, first: Make sure you're using a dechlorinator for your water.

If you want to do a planted tank, deeper substrate is preferable...so think that over. If you DO want to go planted, I'd suggest about 2-2.5 inches.

I'd also be careful with bottled bacteria. It's pretty hit or miss, and it can stall your cycle and cause crashes throughout your tanks life. :/ It's probably better to just go the fishless cycle method.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-a...-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html

You did a good thing buying a tank this large, it leaves you soon wiggle room, so to speak, for error. Read over this link to help you understand cycling. And just as a pointer... Don't listen to anything anyone from petco or, petsmart tells you, usually it's not good advice. Since you want a pleco, try your hardest to find a bristlenose pleco, they only grow to 4 inches while a
Common pleco, which is usually what is sold in pet stores, will outgrow even your 60g as they become to be about 2 feet long and have a huge bioload. Also having a bigger tank gives you a lot more options when it comes to fish anyway.

Thanks a lot for such quick replies! I think I will love this forum.

I will be buying some more gravel I believe, we both think real plants are the way to go. What is a fishless cycle? Also... the bristlenose pleco looks great, I was just going to buy one from petco. 2 feet long is HUGE lol. I think I'll start this adventure off by finding a good store instead of a chain like petco. Since we need to find a bristlenose pleco anyways.

And it looks like I've already found a place.

www.truepercula.com/

It's really close... and they only sell fish stuff. So I'm betting this will be my new after work store lol.

Thanks a lot for such quick replies! I think I will love this forum.

I will be buying some more gravel I believe, we both think real plants are the way to go. What is a fishless cycle? Also... the bristlenose pleco looks great, I was just going to buy one from petco. 2 feet long is HUGE lol. I think I'll start this adventure off by finding a good store instead of a chain like petco. Since we need to find a bristlenose pleco anyways.

And it looks like I've already found a place.

www.truepercula.com/

It's really close... and they only sell fish stuff. So I'm betting this will be my new after work store lol.

I think that is a good idea. My LFS (local fish store) is locally owned by a family and I love them. They are really good about exchanging fish out if they don't work well together, I even had one die the day after purchasing it, I took it in ad they gave me another fish and he's doing awesome! Check out an albino bristlenose they are awesome looking fish, I have one and I love it! Feel free to message me if you have any questions or need other advice! This really is a great forum, you will get a lot of good advice. I haven't been steered wrong by anyone here :)

Down the road you may want to save up and invest in a good canister filter. I use Fluval 406 canister filters on my 55g's and it give much better filtration and has alot of room for media. If you check ebay and on-lines stores you can get things so much cheaper than buying them in a store and often times you can find places that have free shipping.

If you want to go planted try getting a gravel that has a small grain size as it's easier for plants to grow/root in.

Also before adding any fish be sure to research the fish she likes. Often first time tank owner will tend to overstock since the fish they buy are small and young and they don't tank into consideration future adult size. In a 60g tank you could do 4 angelfish, which would be your large fish, 3 yo-yo loaches which are fun active fish for the bottom, maybe 6 cory cats also for the bottom. A couple schools of fish such as a school of 8-10 Rummynose or Cardinal tetras for bright colors, then a school of 6-8 fish with a different body shape and color like Lemon Tetras. Then a bright colored Dwarf or Honey Gourami. There are alot of options for this size tank.

I agree with everyone, and I have a 60g also :) and your lucky to have Rivercats helping you! She's the best on planted tanks, well, she's the best I have seen so far:D Gotta give her the credit for helping me start my 60g project. We may have the same tank also because I got mine from PetCo or something and it's by Marineland- I have a link to the thread in my sig if you would like to check it out. It is fully planted and stocked only with angelfish, 4 SAE, and 2 BNP (bristle nose plecos). Also I had about 50 Amano shrimp and 22 nerite snails until I had a mishap with my feeder....anyways sorry to go on and on about that- when I started my first larger tank I was like your girlfriend- I kept adding little fishes all the time and I overstocked it in about a month. After 2 years though I got tired of the little store bought tropical fish look and went for the bugger ones and that's why i have angels now. Sorry for writing a novel...I have a habit of doing that. Anyways good luck!

I'd either add a second filter or get a larger one all together. A canister would be a good option for a tank that size or maybe an Aquaclear 110.

You might want to read up on cycling; it involves more than just letting the tank run. This guide explains both options (fishless and fish-in) and the pros and cons of both: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice The bacteria starters are often hit and miss; most times they don't work, but without an ammonia source the cycle can't start so just read the link and choose which method would work best for you.

I really want to stress something- once you read over the link libragirl provided, IF you decide to do a fish in cycle please please please be sure you have the time to dedicate to it. I fish in cycled my little 10g I started out with (after cycling it I was lucky enough to have 2 30g given to me). It wast that bad because I had the time to dedicate to it. And I say time to dedicate because it takes just that; there were days I had to do multiple water changes to keep levels in check, granted however a 10g is small and toxins build up quicker, but still just be sure you have the time. I just set up a 55g last night and I honestly couldn't imagine doing a fish in cycle on it just seeing how my experience was (which wasn't bad and I didn't mind the work because I was at home on maternity leave and was glad to have something to do lol). Just be sure and weigh your options and most important thing to remember in this hobby- NEVER buy fish on impulse without doing your research first. Now I'm not saying you have to sit at home and state at the computer for hours upon hours (which isn't a bad thing either, knowledge is power!), but even if you do the research in the pet store just to check what other species they are compatible with and that you have a large enough tank for them (which with your tank that shouldn't be a problem with most fish!), I've done my research right in the pet store before too!

Back
Top Bottom