Mesh bags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

13stingeln

Aquarium Advice Activist
Are these sold in any stores or is my best bet to order online?? I'm going to put crushed oyster shells in it in my filter to raise my ph ?? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Could I use pantyhose??

They are sold in stores, or pantyhose is an option. But why are you trying to raise your pH ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Yeah my ph is at 7.5 and my hardness is down one from the highest just trying to raise it. I've had two fish stop eating and died not sure why... Thinking its the ph? Thanks

Do you have any idea how much of the crushed shells to put in my filter?

Before going any further, let's get some of the other basics out of the way first. What is your current stock list, all of your other parameters, how long has it been running, when did you last add anything, did you QT before adding, what's your WC schedule, tank size and what pH did they come from ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Unless you are keeping wild caught I doubt the PH had anything to do with it.
7.5 is not bad.

Unless you had a pretty good sized pH swing, I'd guarantee they didn't die from low pH. I have tanganyikans in about 7.6 right now, and 2 of those are wild caught from the Burundi region of Lake Tanganyika

No ph change its always been at 7.5. Someone told me It might be bloat? What is that?

My tap water ph is around 7.6 more or less, sometimes it drops a little. I have a 55 gallon with african mbuna in it, what I usually do is put a very small amount of baking soda mixed in some water everytime I do a water change to keep the ph in the low 8's. This has worked very well for me keeping it steady in the 8.0 range.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Really?!!! I've never heard that before

Adding any type of "buffer" to the tank that's not rocks/coral is not going to be stable in the long run and can lead to serious PH swings.

Back to bloat... do you know the specific dietary needs of your stock? Some cichlids can not handle high protein diets as they are primarily herbivores. I'm bit an expert by any means, I'm sure one if these fine cichlids nuts will happily elaborate further.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Basically the digestive tract of herbivorous species, like mbuna species, is designed to process plant/algae matter and very low amounts of protein. When they're given larger amounts of protein, the body is not able to process it. They abdomen will swell, they'll become lethargic, lose their appetite, and can easily die from it. Always feed any mbuna lower protein foods, and avoid foods such as bloodworms, beef heart, etc.

Basically the digestive tract of herbivorous species, like mbuna species, is designed to process plant/algae matter and very low amounts of protein. When they're given larger amounts of protein, the body is not able to process it. They abdomen will swell, they'll become lethargic, lose their appetite, and can easily die from it. Always feed any mbuna lower protein foods, and avoid foods such as bloodworms, beef heart, etc.

What he said!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You may have gotten some sick fish from your LFS that were doomed from the get go. You may not have a problem with your tank at all.

Back
Top Bottom