MH on 30?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandown123

Aquarium Advice Freak
do you think if i put a 175 MH bulb with my 4 39w t5s it would be like major overkill or not?

i want to have some dead serious lighting in this 30 gallon and make it a true beast eventually.. i am guessing if i did the MH bulb, i would build a DIY enclosure and take apart the T5 fixture and like fit the bulbs together with the MH, and replace bulbs with 2 420actinic and 2 460 actinic.

Thoughts?

If it were me, I would just retro 2 more T-5's. Since you already have a fixture, economically, I think it would make sense to use what you have without destroying it, then add a retro kit.
How deep, front to back is the tank and how tall?

standard 30 long, 16 tall and 36 wide, 12 F to B

anything ive ever seen under MH bulbs looks 5x as anything under t5s or any other flourescent. just my opinion i guess, but ive seen the best tanks with the best growth rates all are MH. i bought a cheap t5 fixture for 100 bucks.

I agree on the MH looks and growth.

The things is, IMO it would be tuff to DIY a canopy for a MH retro for a tank that small. The biggest issue with an enclosed canopy is heat. You can possibly just build a 4 sided box to fit over the frame of the tank with no top. Then you could mount a reflector with a MH bulb centered over the tank. If you wanted to rip your old fixture apart, you can use at least the ballasts and buy IceCap retro T5 reflectors and mount 2 towards the front and 2 towards the back. Mount a computer fan on each side and you would probably be good to go.
You would definitely have to light acclimate everything you put in there with that much light over a shallow tank. That would probably be too much light for some coral too.
If you really want MH, you best bet just may be a new fixture, similar to this one.

i agree with the open top enclosure. That would be the design i would go for.

That looks like a great setup that fixture, but the 500 bucks is like WAY out of my price range, thats why I wanted to DIMyself. That looks like a good design to base it off of though not for nothing.

Back
Top Bottom