Midas blenny flashing/twitching, biting at tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piperky1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay...first time dealing with an apparent problem in my tank. My tank is 7 months old and I have a midas blenny that has been in probably three months or more. This morning I noticed him flashing/scratching on rocks. Then I noticed him turning in circles biting at his tail. What research I have done suggest either ich or flukes? Any ideas/thoughts? I guess I really want to know how to tell the difference between these two diseases. My water parameters are normal.

If it had little white spots all over, it is likely Ich. I've read that flukes can actually be seen if you do a freshwater dip, but are tough to see otherwise. I've never dealt with flukes personally, so I'm going by what I've read.

If there are no spots, I'd do a FW dip and see if you can see anything. If its flukes, you will know and you can go with that treatment. FW dips for three days and then Formalin dips if not cleared up.

There are no white spots at the moment. May try fresh water dip and see what happens. Now to see how to accurately do a fresh water dip.

You have ich!!!!
And you can see flukes as they mature! They just look like white splats instead of dots!
Sorry

You have ich!!!!
And you can see flukes as they mature! They just look like white splats instead of dots!
Sorry

What makes you come to that conclusion based on what he said?

If it is Ich, there are going to be spots. If he treats for Ich, that will not help if its flukes. FW dip will not hurt in either case, just would not cure Ich.

How is it today?

You may not see ick right away cause its the size of a speck of salt. Cupramine does treat for ich and flukes also is not as dangerous to use, read up in it.

You may not see Ich right away, but I'm not one to start treating until I know what I'm treating. Ich is usually visible. I've dealt with it many times over the years. Always seen it within days of odd behavior. That's just my experience.

Flukes are something I have never dealt with, but from what I have read, you can usually treat with FW dips and the first dip, many worms will fall off, so you can tell that you have flukes. If it is flukes, I'd rather do dips. If nothing comes off, you have eliminated a possibility and no harm is done.

Your right about everything!! Especially by seeing them by doing the freshwater dip! But a freshwater dip may be more deadly than the flukes them self, Unless you're pro and have a freshwater tank going,? Then go for it

You don't need a freshwater tank for dips. Get a big glass bowl, or a Tupperware container, get your fresh water (RODI or at least RO) the same ph and temp as your DT, get the fish in there, watch very carefully for distress. I've read some fish can go 30 minutes, some people suggest 15-30 minutes. Most suggest in the 5 minute ballpark. I go the shorter time. I've done it a few times and never had a problem. Not sure I'd be comfortable going more than ten minutes. If you watch the fish and pull it if it starts to look bad, it should be okay.

Copper treatments scare me. Copper can easily kill a fish if overdosed. Hypo (for stuff like Ich) tends to be less threatening, at least in my mind, because if you happen to be a little high, the worst case scenario is that its not killing all the parasites as quick.

Morning update

He seems fine since yesterday morning. I've watched him since and haven't seen any more scratching or biting. I had a freshwater dip ready last night and couldn't catch him. Any easy tricks to that with out dismantling dt tank?

Back
Top Bottom