mini compact flourescents?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dakotajoe1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Sorry if this has been asked before but I am setting up a 10g nano and I was planning on making my own light setup but I noticed petco sells mini atnic and day light compact flo. To fit a standard lid. They are 10w 6500k bulbs and I would get 2 but I'm not sure whether they would be enough. What do you guys think? My other thought was to buy 2 cheap walmart t5 fixtures and integrate them into the hood. Which I know would be enough but I like the mini compact idea. Ant input is much appreciated!!

Im not sure the exact specs of my compact bulds becaise the bulbs are old and the numbers on them are worn... The tank itself i bought from a store 2 months ago, but the model was discontinued quite a while ago, Have a feeling it was used and i know it is indeed reef capable... But to answer your original qiestion i wouldnt say compacts are bad BUT LED strips are soo much better. And you can put them in pretty much anything, if your are good with building your pwn things making a hood with the led strips should be cake!
What i dont like about my compacts is that they get REALLY hot. My aquarium sometims gets above 80. Then i gotta blast my AC with a small desk fan in front of it to keep it cool. Works well and honestly id rather do that than buy a chiller... But thats my problem.. Trust me, LEDs last longer, they dont get hot. And they are smaller and easier to build custom lighting fixtures with.

If your heart is set on compacts jist take note that they get pretty hot. So watch your temp very carefully. A nano reef shouldnt go over 80, ever. 77-78 being ideal.

Back
Top Bottom