Mini cycle help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyBusiness

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So 3 days ago, I finally finished my substrate change to sand. Over 3 weeks I've taken out portions of gravel during my WC to prevent this. Didn't work. Tested today and I have:

Ammonia: .5
Nitrite: 1
Nitrate: >10

It's been years since I've had to cycle a tank, so curious if I should do a WC today or wait a couple days?

Tank Cycling

So 3 days ago, I finally finished my substrate change to sand. Over 3 weeks I've taken out portions of gravel during my WC to prevent this. Didn't work. Tested today and I have:

Ammonia: .5
Nitrite: 1
Nitrate: >10

It's been years since I've had to cycle a tank, so curious if I should do a WC today or wait a couple days?

Hello Fish...

Any trace of ammonia is enough to harm your fish. But, you can approach the situation as you would if you were cycling the tank for the first time. Just get out your water testing kit and test daily for ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test, remove and replace 25 percent of the tank water and replace that with pure, treated tap water.

Just test daily and change the water when needed. When several daily tests show no traces of the above toxic forms of nitrogen, the tank is cycled.

It wouldn't hurt to add some floating plants like Hornwort as a water filter backup.

B

I would do another 30-50% WC, just keep an eye on ammonia and nitrite. It will stabilise by itself over the time.

.5ppm ammonia is not so bad, make sure water is well aerated. Airstone during this period may help.

Back
Top Bottom