mini cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fonze

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys for some unknown reason my tank has gone slightly cloudy and the fish are at the top. I did a 10% water change yesterday and cleaned my filters. The only media I changed in my filters is the fine sponge in the external filter. I also added some bog wood that I had soaked in the dirty water that I took out for a couple of hours. The tank is 125litre the filters are an aquis 500 external and a fluval u2 internal. The water reads 0 Amonia 0 nitrites and 10 nitrate tap water is ten. I'm not sure if the tank is going through a mini cycle or if its because of the bog wood. Any advice would be great

If your fish are at the top of the tank gasping you need to do a 50% water change now. Watch and see if they stop, if not do another 50% water change in a couple hours. Did you buy the DW or find it? If you found it something bad could be leeching out of it. Or did you soak it with anything in the water like a touch of bleach. Personally I would leave it out until your tank and fish get back to normal. And if you found it I would not put it back in there. JMO

Water change, test and aerate your water, the surface. The gasping can be lack of oxygen in the water. You can lower the water level in the tank so the water coming out of the filter hit the water harder creating more of a disturbance tithe surface.

Also I you JUST added the driftwood, take it out and see what happens also. You need to soak/boil driftwood. You never know what might be in it that can be harming your fish.

Also could be a drop on pH causing them to stress.

Make sure you aren't over-feeding and there aren't any dead fish in your tank. Give your tank plenty of aeriation and filtration. Cloudy water usually stops after a few days.

Thanks guys I did a 30% water change this morning before work and have removed the bog wood for now and letting it soak in the water I removed from the tank for a couple of days. The fish look a lot happier although they will probably have the hump when they work out they're not getting fed. I will wait 24 hours before I check water parameters as I don't want to get a false reading from the water change. I will post results when I have them.

Sorry for late reply but everything is back to normal :)

Back
Top Bottom