minimum time for freshly made saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would still use the ro/di since it should help filter even if it’s not up to par. Alternately if you have a hob filter you could hang that on the back of your bucket of mixing SW and run with fresh carbon or Purigen for a couple of days.

how about polyfilters, will they work just as well as the purigen? im going to order from drfostersmith.com soon and i already had it in my cart, lol, but i can change it to the purigen if needed....

yes, thats what i was talkin about... but i looked into the purigen and i think im gonna go with those and see how they do.... im definately getting the prime. thanks for the help.:)

update:
went to store and got prime and purigen.... for the purigen, it says it lasts 6 months on the packaging, is this accurate?? also after adding the prime, will the ammonia still show up on the test??

the least time i did was 1 hour as it was a pure emergency. but i had a pump running and a FLOTEC sump pump that i regularly use..

The poly-filters and pura pads both work great. I like the fact that the poly-filters change color so you know when they are spent.

i like the poly filters, ive used them before, but lfs doesnt carry them so i have to order online.... i got the purigen for now though, see how it works. on the bottle of prime, it says it just changes it to a safe non toxic form, so after adding prime, will the water still test for ammonia? is it safe to use?

Even using Prime you will still detect nh3 with your test kit with the sample water since it can’t distinguish between nh3 and the “safe version” ionized Ammonia NH4+ which is non-toxic. Unless you have a nh3 only test like Seachem Multitest Ammonia you won’t be able to read the NH3 level properly.

I assume your tank reads 0 nh3 though since the bacteria will convert it within hours.

the tank is showing between .50-1 (nitrite at 5)... which is down from 1-2, so i there has been improvment. i also got the purigen. i only added the recommended amount. i will add more to get it to safe amounts. i will look into getting the seachem multi test system.... the "new" sw is testing is now at 8 (double ouch), so i guess the first thing is get the new test kit, and dump that water, lol..... i used more than the recommended amount for that... how is that possible??? am i going through a mini cycle after upgrading?? i dont know what is going on..........

Back
Top Bottom