Missing discus help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MINIMAL

Aquarium Advice Freak
So within 5 hours overnight I had a 3"+ discus disappear from my tank. I checked everywhere possible and the entire room and cannot in him anywhere. I know he did not get consumed by others or get into the filtration because I have a mesh/floss prefilter for shrimp and platy fry protection. Another odd thing is that I found a bala dead, a guppy dead, a 1" discus dead as well overnight. All water tests were fine, and I ran them twice to be sure. co2 has been manually operated for the last week since the solenoid quit working and was turned off as usual at 6pm yesterday on the regulator regulator and tank to prevent any leaks. All fish were in the tank and doing fine at 1am but at 6am there was a mass death and a missing fish. My cats are never out at night to protect the fish from them, so where in the heck could he have gone? The only place I didn't look is under the substrate.... has anybody ever heard of discus burrowing into substrate and think this is worth a shot to check? I am going to run home on my lunch to look some more to see if I can figure out what happened to the discus, but right now the only explanation is aliens, but my wife doesn't agree lol. The other discus are fine, as are all other fish. So I am just confused as to why the others died and one large fish is missing. Any past expirence with something like this would be appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Huh. I have no idea but I'm interested to see what comes up.

I love me some mysteries!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Pics of the tasnk.. I had a 5 inch pigeon like 6 months ago die by trying to go inside a crack my driftwood stump had and his spines got stuck on the wood... I fixed the problem now obviously but too late for him..

My discus are always hidden when they die.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I found him. He was dead and under driftwood between the substrate. Looks like he tried to bury himself. Everybody else is doing fine now. Not sure what happened to cause a mass death like that. None of them showed any illness or signs of stress before or after. I have ran 6 tests since and they are all good. Only thing I can think of is possibly they consumed some stone wool that fell in the tank earlier this weem when I was planting, guess I missed some. There were no changes in diet, temp, or anything so I am baffled.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom