Missing molly and surprise babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OrionPax

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My smallest Dalmatian Molly went missing two days ago (leaving me with one dalmatian, one lyretail, one bbb catfish, 2 algae eaters, and 3 cory). I checked the filter and wiggled all the plants...no molly. I added another silver lyretail molly yesterday(which my current lyretail fell in love with as soon as he saw it) along with three red wags.

Everyone was getting along well and seemed fine. But, when I got up this morning to get ready for work there were babies!!

Some are spotted, so I'm guessing they most likely came from one of the dal. mollies.

Is it possible that my missing molly hid away because it was in labor? I looked again after finding the babies and I still didn't see it anywhere.

I have Had the same issue with one of my Red Wag Platy females. She seemed ready to pop with babies. I have ground cover for baby protection and on 3 occasions I've sworn she was gone. I actually thought she may have died and my wife removed her without telling me. I also checked the floor thinking she committed suicide like a Gold Fish I had a while back. I'd eventually find her hidden amazingly well after checking and rechecking the ground cover. It's amazing how they can hide in a tank. BTW, she was hiding to have babies because the male wouldn't stop harassing her. I am jealous. I can't get my Dalmatian Mollies to have babies, but I have about 40 Red Wag Platy babies I've managed to save and put in my nursery net.

RinkFish from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sadly, since I found the fry before work I didn't have time to isolate them from the others...BUT it's been almost a week and I'll occasionally see one or two fry holding their own and eating away from the others. They're good at being sneaky, in the blink of an eye they're off and hidden again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom