Missing Strawberry Baslet, Pistol Shrimp Guilty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrg02d

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,
I put a small pistol shrimp in my tank about a month ago. He immediately was harassed by all my fish and went to town making this really intricate network of tunnels under all the rocks...Even the coral frags sitting on the sandbed!

Well, tonight I noticed my Strawberry Baslet isnt swimming around. Its ALWAYS out looking for something to get into. I know it loves to go after this pistol shrimp when it sees it. The shrimp is only an inch long, but BOY is it aggressive! It came after me when I was moving a sunken coral frag! Came out grabbing me and shooting at me!

Could this tiny pistol shrimp have killed the strawberry baslet? I hear this thing shooting all day and night long. So its trigger happy alright...

Any ideas? No idea what kind of pistol it is...I caught him under some rocks near the ocean. The LFS said its a snapping shrimp and should keep to itself. Just a greenish brown shrimp.

Now I am worried he might try to kill my two clowns or my sixline that sleeps down in the rocks at night.:-(

Should I be worried? Maybe the baslet is just taking the night off? Anyone see a pistol shrimp kill a fish?

Matt

I`ve never seen that but that does not mean it could not have happened. I would highly doubt that`s the culprit. Have you`ve done some water test to rule that out?

That's the most frightening picture of a Mantis shrimp i've ever seen. I would literally scream and dump a gallon of bleach into my aquarium if I saw one. Did you get an ammonia spike?

I don't know. Those mantis shrimp are pretty but I have enough trouble being nibbled on by what I have now. Don't think I could handle something they call a thumbsplitter.

Nope, no ammonia spike since the fish is still alive. ;-)

Yea, those mantis shrimp look nasty! I am glad I didnt wind up with one with all my bad luck and all.

If I DID find a mantis, Id likely use a 40W IR laser diode with lens to collimate the beam right onto its head! It would be dead really quick! I use them to burn steel springs. :-D
Matt

Back
Top Bottom